Green Hair Algea Is Driving Me Nuts!

tacks

I think I already know the answer but I'll ask anyway. What can I do about all this wavy green algea? A little less than a month ago I upgraded my lights. I went from .96 watts per gallon to 3.76 watts per gallon. It's a 125g that's been set up since Nov 2000. I use RO water for water changes and top offs. I have no phosphate test kit which I know is probably my first step. I guess I'm wondering how long the algea bloom will last. I've cut back on the lighting period from 12 hours (I know...) to 8 hours. I feed twice per day. I have a wet/dry sump with bio balls. Also, I'm running a UV 24/7 (15w). Should I cut back even more on the lighting period? I have a few pieces of LR (approx 25lbs) and I'm wondering what affect the shortened lighting period will have on it.

jacrmill

are you over feeding? cause that can be a result. you also might want to cut down on your lights again. i think 8 hours wouldnt be good, but you might want to cut down more, and watch your LR. if it looks bad than i would go back up to 8, but if it is still doing good i would stay at about 6 or 7. good luck, i know algae can be annoying, but i havent really had a problem with it yet, knock on wood.

b_ball12_99

Ever think of a clean up crew? I'd use an emerald crab or 2 plues other hermits. It would add more life and a natural way of doing it. Thats my opinion though.

tacks

I probably should have mentioned that I recently purchased a clean up crew from this site. They seem to be doing OK but not really keeping up. It came with two emerald crabs who seem pretty busy.

jacrmill

also just so you know, a clean up crew tends to mask the symptoms, but doesnt cure the problem. though a cleanup crew is a good idea, i think there is another problem that you have. mabye im wrong though. anybody else agree or disagree with what im saying?

jrock77

I recently went through a HUGE bloom and it turned out I had introduce my new PC lights wrong. I put them on a timer and go myself a "lawnmower" blenny! Man does that fish eat it up!!
Don't know if that fish will help your current problem, but I know it helped mine clear the tank once I got my lights and filtration under control.
good luck

tonka

Check your phosphates,cut back on food,don't add any additives,water changes,make sure your protein skimmer is producing well,and if you have to get in there with a toothbrush and scrub to hair off. I also got a tuxedo urchin and he'll take care of most of it. The bad thing is that he'll also eat some of your coraline. I had to get a phosphate sponge also.It takes awhile but it works...good luck

tacks

Thanks everyone,
Just ordered a phosphate kit. I'll cut back on lighting and feeding. Hope this works. Oh yeah, I've already been in there with a toothbrush. Thanks again...

shel

Jacrmill
I agree with what you are saying. You can get it cleaned up, but it is going to keep coming back until you fix the source of the problem.
More water changes, if you are over feedng. I had thhe same problem. Scrubbed the rocks good and a few weeks later it was back. I was over feeding and added a new fish. Now I am doing 2 - 3 water changes a week. I have 125g and my water changes is about 25 - 30 gallons each water change. it is helping alot.
Yes I do have a lawnmower blemmy. I have to much lr for just him. I have 150 -170 lb of lr. The poor little guy works his butt off. LOL
Does anybody know if you can have (2) of these guys, or do they like to be the only one?
Shel :p

fishman420

A friend of mine (saltwatersensae) has that problem big time. When he was away on vacation he told his sister to pour in capfulls of marine snow. But she poured a whole bunch in at a time. He's thinking of just starting over. He's had this problem for about 5 months. His computer broke so I'm posting for him. Any suggestions.
[ April 18, 2001: Message edited by: fishman420 ]

b_ball12_99

How old was the sister. I go on vacation every summer and I just ordered a 75 gallon so I'll wait until I get back to start it. I have a friend who is getting into saltwater that I'm going to see if he'll take care of my current tank while I'm gone. Tell him I wish him good luck with his tank.

tonka

Fishman, I had the same thing. It took about 2 months to remove the hair completely. And guess what I was adding? Marine Snow. I was about to start over also. I ended up turning over some of my LR. Tell him not to give up. Look at the above posts. I now don't ad much. Just Kalk,Stron,Iodine(which can cause algae breakouts)and do my normal water changes. The tuxedo urchin also helped alot. Good luck :p

fishman420

His sister is 14. He stopped adding the marine snow like 4 months ago. He has a UV sterilizer and a lawnmower blenny to help the problem.