Green hair algea

gavin

How to get rid of green hair alge. I have been doing frequent water changes and water levels seem good. Please help

mr . salty

What kind of water are you using. Also what kind of lighting(colors and watts)and how long are they on evry day?What are the water readings?

percman

i got this problem too......im using ro water, 2X55w. pc's one is a blue actinic and the other is a daylight and one 20w. flo light. lights are on any where between 12 and 14 hours depending on how late i get home. i do regular water changes. my only draw back is that i dont have a skimmer....right now i have no coral but there will soon be some as soon as the algea goes away.
please help
percman

percman

would a hippo tang do the same job? i saw one at the lfs about the size of a nickel! it probibly isnt the same. just checking. reduce lights to 4 hours!!! what about my xenia? i just got some from a guy who was running vho's for 12hours will they wilt up and die?
percman
[This message has been edited by percman (edited 11-19-2000).]

percman

but once i kick those lights back on for 12hrs aday wont the hair come right back? what will the change be?
percman

mr . salty

Algae is caused by nore than just lights on too long.But 12 hours a day is TOO LONG.Even with perfect water this light cycle will promote algae growth.You should also be looking at phosphates and nitrates,as both of these also contribute to the growth of bad algae.