Green Hair Algea

reefermon

I have tried to rid my tank of this green hair algea. Tomorrow i am going to remove the rock and scrubb it off. When i replace the rock the lfs told me to place the rock where the algea was growing in the dark area of the tank to stop the algea from spreading, will this work.

caillou

Phosphates are most likely the problem. Could be the lights but more than likely it's the phosphates. Common reasons for phosphates could be the water (are you using RO/DI?) and or over feeding or lack of clean up crew.
I am always fighting phosphates and I've never figured out why. I use RO/DI for everything and from the begining years ago. I do not over feed if anything I under feed. So I've given up and gone the phosban reactor route. It will seriously diminish your hair algae. I highly recomend one but you should try to figure out why you're getting the problem. Water or overfeeding.

dejaco

Hair algae removal - the voice of experience talking here!
Your algae is growing becuase there are excess nutrients in the water.
Feed your tank only a fraction of what you are currently feeding!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Better skimming and more carbon filtration.
Get a large rubber made tub, take out enough water to fill it half way up,
then fill 3 five gallon buckets half way up with water from your tank. Line them up next to the big tub. Mix and replace saltwater in your tank.
Now remove all your rocks and place in vat/tub with salt water. Using a
scrub brush clean each rock and then dip in each of the three buckets to rinse. Move to next rock and keep repeating scrubbing and rinsing. As rocks
are finished pile on clean tarp to the side. When all are done wet towels in your last rinse bucket (it should be the cleanest) and cover the whole pile of rocks with wet towels. Leave overnite. Next day replace/rebuild rock work.
Order a sailfin blenny, turbo / astrea snails, and some scarlet legged reef hermits. Cut your lighting down by 2 hours a day from where it is now.
AND only feed your tank a FRACTION of what you are currently! This worked for me, I have now been 6 months with only coraline algae growing!

supalupa

Raise your calcium. You'll grow corraline instead of green hair algae. If you keep your calcium at 450-460 and keep your alk up you should be growing lots of corraline in no time. The hair algae should diminish as the corraline takes over. JMO

farslayer

The problem is that hair algae will overtake the coraline because hair grows more quickly. I used a toothbrush on my rocks years ago when I had an outbreak. My nitrates and phosphates were too high, so after I got those under control I was able to get good coraline growth.

kingnai

My tank was loaded with hair algea... I had a lawnmower blenny but he just couldn't keep up... then I bought a purple tang and a foxface... and within 1 week it was all gone... they even ate it from the sandbed...
Good Luck

reefrank

Every tank I have ever had has at one time been victim to hair algae.
My latest was in my 125, patience is the key. I did many water changes and prior to the water changes I would scrub my rocks with a toothbrush and if needed pull it off with my fingers. Then suck up what is floating after the scrub technique. This eventually took care of it. At any sign of return, I would repeat the above. I now have a hairless tank.
One thing I did that made a huge difference is I added a kalk drip for my top off. Plus I added a blennie and a blue hippo and a flame angel, all of these guys love hair algae. try these and you will be happy.
good luck