Green Hair - HELP!!

sal t. nutz

I did a search, and found numerous threads on Green Hair, but none fit my case. My tank is now about 6 months old and I am having VERY bad Green Hair problem. It is widespread, and yet my tank water seems to be great. Phosphates didn't even register on the scale, PH 8.2, Amm and Trites 0, Trates 5ppm. I don't overfeed and I am WAY understocked, only 1 clown in my 300 gallon. I just bought a new clean up crew with about 50 snails and 50 blue legs, I know they will prob clean it up for me, but what is causing it in the first place??

sal t. nutz

By the way, yes I use RO/DI water, and I just replaced the filters in it about a month ago, so they are all brand new.

spyderreef

I had the same problem. My system is only 4 months old and I had a bad case of hair algae. I bought a lawnmower blenny, kids named him Ziggy. Not the most colorful fish but he is quite a character. I also was able to pull a lot of my algae out by hand. Between that and the snails and blenny plus improving water conditions it is almost gone. What about silicates? You could use a phosphate sponge. I also run a magnum 350 with activated carbon with a phosphate sponge. I usually will run it 1 to 2 weeks. Good Luck!! I would love to have a 300 gal. Everyone in my family says no more aquariums.

reefnut

Zebra Hermit Crabs... Also keep the hair algae cut back. I use a tooth brush to clean off long spots.

blueberryboomer

How long do you leave your light on for daily? We had the same problem and all our readings we're fine too, we cut our lights back a couple hours a day and it has helped alot. Hair algea thrives on lots of light... Lisa

sal t. nutz

Like I said, I just got the crabs last night, and I'm sure they will help a lot. What I am concerned with is, why do I have the algae? The only thing mentioned, that I have not checked is silicates, but I don't know why I would have many of them, since I only have 1 fish and use only RO/DI water. I leave my lights on about 6 hours a day, and I realize that the lights can cause algae, but that is only true if you have food for the algae. So I am trying to figure out what is in my tank that the algae is thriving off of.

fellow

I would put my money on the salt you add......alot of salt has silicate.
What kind of addatives do you add????Dont say marc weiss products...!!!
-fellow-

spyderreef

Just another thought. How old are your test kits and what brand do you use.?
I was reading some other posts about hair algae and someone said that you can still have silicates even if you use RO/DI water. Did you change the membrane the last time you changed filters? If the membrane is old that might be your problem.

attml

A couple of things, I agree with the others that an additional clean up crew would be helpful. I would also consider adding a few good know algae eaters like a Tang or Lawnmower Blennie or Pygmy Cherub Angel. Also, I don't know how up to date your signature is, but you may want to add a lot more circulation. 2 Maxijet 1200's isn't much for a 300 gallon tank. Nuisance algae loves lower oxygen levels caused by poor gas exchange (not enough circulation). Good luck!

sal t. nutz

Yes, my RO membrane is new and in good shape. And I have those 2 maxi 1200 AND an Iwaki MD70, which is 1500gph. I plan to get a Powder Blue and maybe even a blenny would be cool, but like I said, I am not looking for the cure to the algae, as I already know how to get rid of it. I want to know whats causing it.

stupid_naso

I gotta agree with the Calcium. I had a bad case of hair algae a couple of months ago, really bad one. But I CLEANED it, and it got somewhat better. It wasn't very "bushy" anymore. However, I got a brain coral and since they need calcium, I started adding calcium to my tank. The hair algae went crazy, it grew long and "bushy." Get a lot of critters. Keep in mind that most of the critters don't eat hair algae once they've gotten too long. Yeah think of it as eating old vegetables. Not very yummy.
So my advice to you, although I'm still facing this problem, is check your calcium lvl. Stop adding additives to your tank. Keep the light low. And for now, I would scrub all the algae off in another bucket, rinse the rocks with a clean water, and put them back in the tank. And get those critters to work ;).
Best of luck,
stupid_naso

sal t. nutz

Now that is something I haven't looked at. I will get a test kit to verify, but I assume that the CA is very low since my coraline isn't spreading AT ALL. And I just assumed that my KH was prob fine since the PH was holding steady.

wetone

I have had the same problem...I added a new RO/DI unit, a new skimmer that is rated for 4 times larger than my tank. I have been doing tons of water changes and rock scrubs. The algae has died off considerably but some spots continue to linger. I am having trouble keeping my CA up above 370. I add turbo ca as wall as kalk in an evaporation drip. I am waitning on my MAG test kit to come, some say that could be a reason for low CA, thus the reason for green algae instead of calc algae....we'll see