Green hair-like algae

deuceb

I've got this green hair-like algae starting to grow all over my tank. I heard that it is due to too much phosphorus in the local
water. Anybody know any possible way to get rid of it? Thanks.

What water are you using? I would try and use RO water if I were you. I found a local water place to bottle your own water for $ 0.30 a gal that goes through the RO unit twice before it comes out.

beaslbob

Originally posted by deuceB
I've got this green hair-like algae starting to grow all over my tank. I heard that it is due to too much phosphorus in the local
water. Anybody know any possible way to get rid of it? Thanks.

From what I understand green hair algae feeds off of nitrAtes (and ammonia) and less from phosphates. The brown and red algaes feed off if phosphates.
The best long term solution is to add plant life you desire. In a refugium like Kip said or even in the display. the idea is to get the desirable plant life consuming the nitrates and starving out the ugly algaes. Now that you have the hair it may take awhile but eventually enough good plants will control the hair. After you get a thriving plant life you may even have to temporaily reduce lighting to the hair to allow it to die off. But even cleaner crews and physical removing the hair will help.

overanalyzer

Originally posted by beaslbob
From what I understand green hair algae feeds off of nitrAtes (and ammonia) and less from phosphates. The brown and red algaes feed off if phosphates.

All algea's feed off of phosphates - hair algea is no exception. Some use it more efficiently then others (faster growth) and some rely on more of it then other types for growth (the red algeas).
I agree with Kip and Bob - though I would strongly caution you to be very selective about adding macro algea's to your main display tank!
Good luck it is a beast to get rid of

beaslbob

And I agree with over also. :eek:
I probably should have said the green feeds more off the nitrates where reds/brown feed more from the phosphates.

a_fender69

Like said above, get RO/DI water. You need to fight the problem before a solution will come.
To help fight the algea problem add any type of spiny urchine, they are pigs and saved my tank when I had a problem(my lfs was selling bad water).
Good luck and do not get discouraged.

dacia

Hair algae is also the favorite food of lettuce nudibranchs. They are cute and fun to watch in the tank, IMHO, so they are cute and have a purpose. ;)