Green Leaf Like Algae

mrdrago

My reef tank has been set-up for about 1.5 months. Doing great. Water chemicals are perfect. I am getting pink coraline algae growth which I understand is good. I am also getting some thin green algea growing in patches. It looks like 1 inch feathers in concentrated clusters. Starts out with one or two feathers then spreads. Is this good algae to have? I am concerned that it is spreading rapidly. I pulled out several large clusters today.

ak_reefer

What you are describing sounds like a form of Calepura (sp) not sure of the exact name. But it looks like a feather/fern. This is a macroalgea and it is a good thing. Feeds off of nitrates and ammonia in your water, helps break them down. HTH

mrdrago

Thanks. It didn't look too bad at first. In fact, started with just a few cool looking strands. However, started to become an eye sore when grows to a forrest. Maybe I should not have pulled it out. I have some other forms of algae that grow slower and look great. Big green solid leafs. How do you control the growth of this first type I have? Does it died off eventually?