green like grass growing

newreeferpa

i inherited my brothers tank, have increased the lighting to a metal halide as things were looking a little sad as he only had a compact florescent. since then purple stuf has started to grow on the rock as well as bright green grass looking stuff -is that good? dont see any small animals on the rock. should i buy some more LR to get the system growing again. the tank is a 36 gallon and i have 2 clowns, lawnmower blenny, 2 gobie engineers and six line wrasse. have the balls in the sump system someone said to put live rock in there- but will i need a light for it as it is under the tank in an enclosed cabinet?

juggalojim

How much rock is in the tank? You need to take those balls out of the sump asap! It's hard to tell what the green 'stuff' is without a picture.. It could be green star polyps or algae maybe.. and no you don't need a light for the sump but if you get some macro algae it would be a good idea to get a clip on light for it to grow..

reefereric

Grass sounds like green hair algae. You're going to want to get rid of that asap, before it takes over the tank. Find the source and correct it, pull as much as possibly by hand, and do lots of water changes. Pictures would still help!

it could be from over nutrience in to water, try cutting down how much you feed, it coul also be a result of a dead spot, increase flow to that area to try to correct that. as for the "balls", you might want to upgrade. Bioballs are good for converting ammonia and nitrite to nitrate, but that is where it stops. the bacteria on the live rock actually convert the nitrate to a gas and it goes straight out of the aquarium. You can put like rock in your sump or, Matrix from seachem. they both work great

mr.clownfish

i think the lawnmower will clean that up. u know its kinda in the name. it mows down algae and its favorite algae is hair algae. so i think u will be good.

Originally Posted by Mr.clownfish
http:///forum/post/2706993
i think the lawnmower will clean that up. u know its kinda in the name. it mows down algae and its favorite algae is hair algae. so i think u will be good.

yea but he is packed as it is it don't think he can afford a lawnmower blenny on top of his other fish

srgvigil

Originally Posted by ReeferEric
http:///forum/post/2706418
Grass sounds like green hair algae. You're going to want to get rid of that asap, before it takes over the tank. Find the source and correct it, pull as much as possibly by hand, and do lots of water changes. Pictures would still help!
Yes but also remember that this will help but can also worsen the problem. If you just pick it the small fillaments will spread to other parts of the tank and spread.