Green Long Tentacle Plate

sickboy

I got this as a present about a month ago. Just wanted to see if it was looking healthy as i read that they can be hard to keep. I spot feed it mysis about twice a week.

cedarreef

as a present? you have some cool friends to give you that! n that looks very healthy to me. keep up the good work n you will have a great little coral there =P

paintballer768

Theyre considered hard to keep because theres cases of them just up and dying. But if you keep it fed, itll do great. Looks like youve got a good one, and some good friends too.

sickboy

Ok, so I bought silversides to feed the plate, but the first time I fed it, the cleaner shrimp, crabs, and nass snails wouldn't leave it alone. i didn't even know the Nass snails were still alive until then. So today, I cut into three pieces. One to the plate, one I hand fed to the cleaner shrimp who fought with the peppermint over it, and one for the Nass snails and crabs to fight over. The plate then had his peace to eat. As long as there isn't extra sitting in the tank to create ammonia, this is ok to do right?

spanko

You could also cut the top off a pop bottle and use it as a feeding dome. That will keep the other critters away while the plate eats.

ci11337

doesn't really matter. It looks healthy but in the top pic it looks like it might be getting a bit to much flow. see how the one edge isn't puffy.

cranberry

I find plates easy to keep if they don't get damaged. I had a beautiful one for years, but one day I was messing around in the tank blowing detritus off the rocks with the outflow of a powerhead.... As I was doing maintenance, and I let it pump just sit in one place, it kicked up a sandstorm and covered the plate completely. Later that evening I realized something was missing from the tank.... MY PLATE!! I uncovered it and there was no visible damage, but the next day the skeleton was exposed. Many LPS can recover as long as they have a little live flesh left.... these guys tend to die if there is even a little flesh lost.

sickboy

Originally Posted by ci11337
http:///forum/post/2707517
doesn't really matter. It looks healthy but in the top pic it looks like it might be getting a bit to much flow. see how the one edge isn't puffy.
Yeah, I re-aimed one of my powerheads two days ago and now his tentacles are about twice as long as in these pics. I'll try to get a new one tomorrow. He's also been expanding even more with lower flow.

sickboy

So, I got new pics of the plate. This thread has pretty much become a diary, but I guess that way if he just up and dies, others can watch the progress.

nordy

Nice looking plate coral! I had a really nice one, until one of my clowns took a liking to it and started hosting. It eventually died from the affections of the clown

sickboy

Yeah, that happened to one of my friends too. My clown doesn't go near the plate though....yet.

jadette

Just make sure sand doesn't cover it up. My plate eventually died b/c I had a damsel that enjoyed burying everything I put on my sandbed.
Your plate coral looks healthy and happy. Keep up the great work!

sickboy

Originally Posted by jadette
http:///forum/post/2729441
Just make sure sand doesn't cover it up. My plate eventually died b/c I had a damsel that enjoyed burying everything I put on my sandbed.
Yeah, I've been worried about this, and its the reason I'm going with all Nass snails to clean the sand instead of a goby. I really like gobies, but not as much as I like this coral.
I will get new pics in the next couple days, he's gettin even bigger!

sickboy

Taking pics of the tank, so I thought I would share more. Feeding time is love/hate, he loves food but hates the bottle. I need to find something bigger!