Green mold/alge on sand

movadoman21

hello i just started to see some patchs of dark green algie/mold on my sand bed what is that from? water tested daily no problems need help/advise.
thank you

movadoman21

i had my tank up and runnning for about 5 or 6 months or so not to long i have a americal wet/dry running its a 55 gal got 1 yellow tang,three blue damsels,two clow fish and four hermit crabs.
regular lights.

S

sebae0

how often do you feed? and what kind of circulation do you have?

temple2101

sebae0 is talking about water movement. Are you using powerheads? Having good water circulation around your tank really helps to combat algaes. Your goal is to make sure there are no "dead spots" or areas where a lot of stuff is collecting or water is not moving. HTH

movadoman21

i only have one power head running and thats the one thats the return pump running the water back into the tank. how many power heads are used for a 55 gal?

S

sebae0

i would try to increase the water movement in the tank by adding a couple of small powerheads for circulation( maxijets or hagens would be fine).
also your tank is still somewhat immature and the algae is part of the maturation process, make sure not to feed to much and use ro or ro/di water for changes and it will go away by itself. hth

movadoman21

i use distilled tap water is that good for water changes? i wil get like 2 more hang on power heads this week how should i aim them down towards the sand or like on an angle?what size power head would be good.

S

sebae0

distilled tap water? how are yougetting your water? secondly don't point them towards the sand but rather at each other or in a circular pattern. ro/di is best because tap water has alot of impurities in it. i think 2 maxi or 2 hagens would be fine for adding, either 2 maxi 900 or 2 hagen 402's. hth