green moray eel question

tome

I was wondering how big a tank a green moray eel needs. Right now i have him in 78g tank with a giant hawkfish. He seem to like it right now cause he was in a long 30g tanks at the pet store. Will my tank size be ok for him or will i need to upgrade later.

moraym

I may even go bigger than that tank, and remember your tankmates will be VERY limited. Green morays grow extremely fast and will quickly take out any tankmates, not to mention take out a few fingers if you try to move things in their tank.
The green moray gets as large as 10 feet in the wild, and grows up to 6-8 feet in captivity. So you'll want a very secure top, a canopy you can clamp down with vice-clamps or heavy cinder blocks.
Someone used to post pics of their green, they commented their 125 was too small I believe...paging Polarpooch....

nickfish

Green morays will really get along with anything too small to eat. I would not put a green in anything less than a 250. Or at least a 92X24X24. Larger triggers, larger wrasses, sharks, or just any large predators are sutable for them.

tome

ok thx for al the info. I think the giant hawkfish will be ok with him now because he is not full grown yet but when he becomes it he'll be pretty big.