Green Moray Eel

thehat

I just bought a green moray eel and was wondering what people feed them and how often and how much. I fed her silver sides today and she liked them. Just curious on what other people have had good luck with? All books give different suggestions. Any other tips anyone wants to get me let me know.
Also. I have a niger trigger in the tank and a picasso in the tank. My Friend has a mean flame hawk she wants to give me. Think its worth a try to put it in?

thehat

Its a 70 gallon. And its like between 20 and 24in. I have a secure tank. I have a glass top and an underneath watersump. I have the lights on top and 10 pounds of weights. (just in case) Its preety heavy without the weights. Iwas wondering about the length. I read that they can get up to six feet . From what I have read most probably wont reach full size in a tank, but I am new to the eel world so what I read could be wrong. My picasso and niger are pretty good size it will take a long while before she will try to eat them if she does get that big.

polarpooch

Oh my. You're gonna want a different tank for your fish...I had a tragic experience with a seemingly tough, large fish and a moray! Mine isn't a green, but green morays are supposed to be among the most aggressive of eels in the aquarium trade. Anyway you cut it, the flame hawk is prbably toast if you put it in there (I lost one of these to a moray, too). Don't get "tricked" into thinking your eels and fish are buddies. After almost a year, my Tesselata made a meal of my big Klunzinger Wrasse--while I watched.
I feed my morays (Tesselata, Blackedge, snowflake, ghost eels) all sorts of stuff. They would eat anything you throw at them (including your fish:( ). My good friend and eel expert directed me to feed my morays rock shrimp (with the shells), squid, tuna, salmon, swowdfish, krill (for the little guys) and crab. Basically, a varied diet. I go to a local fish market and get their slop seafood for them. (Not the kind with DYES) Once in a while I pick up some live crayfish or damsels to watch the carange.
Just to warn you, there is a bar in my hometown with a green moray in a 180g (or close) tank, and it's over 5 feet long. Even in your tank, eels get big. Word to the wise.
Have fun with your Green Monster. Do yourself (and your fish) a favor and get those fish out of that tank. BTW, these things aren't reef safe....

thehat

I was thinkin about all of this. When I went into the store today my question was can I have triggers with eels? They told me yes. Then I asked about the green moray and they said yes. I have been going there for almost 2 and half years and they have never strayed me in a wrong direction. They said that she was a female and would be less aggressive and they had her forever and they could practically feed her out of there hands (they didn't though). She ould come out of the rocks and to the top of the tank every couple of days for feeding time. I hope I didn't make a mistake. Help me feel a little better about my purchace.

splash1914

I had a green moray once that ate one of my small leopard sharks.... the big guy now resides at the orlando science center....

polarpooch

I would do anything to make you feel better...but my experience with eels says "you're in for trouble".
MY trusted LFS told ME that my Tesselata and Klunzinger would be fine together. Now, my Klunzinger has become eel food. I don't blame them really, most literature says morays will eat "anything that can fit into their mouths"...AND THEN SOME!
Here's what I've learned about morays: they are unpredictable. Some behave great for a long time, then FREAK out on your fish.
I think maybe the LFS guy never owned a moray (at least not for a very long time), or he was very lucky.
If it were I, I would take the Green Moray back to the store and get a MUCH mellower eel (like a snowflake)...OR, I'd get ANOTHER TANK!!!. Think about it: fish tank, AND eel tank! Wouldn't that be awesome? That's the conclusion I came to, and now...three tanks later...well, maybe you just need to take the eel back.

thehat

Yea I know for a fact that they have eels in there home tanks. Whether there are fich in the tanks or not I don't know. This lfs is one of the best stores I have seen anywhere. They said the same thing about them being moody though. I am gonna be moving in a year and a half. I am just gonna ride her out until I have to take and move the tank. I have 75 pounds of live rock I don't want to deal with.
She is still pretty small (Under 2 feet). How long do you think it will take her to grow out of hand. I still really like her I was just hoping for some good news. Thanks for the advice

polarpooch

****SOMEONE WHO OWNS A GREEN MORAY HELP THIS PERSON!!!!
Good luck:)
Really, I hope you have no problems at all! I'm hoping you don't have the same problems I've had. Crossing my fingers for you!
As for the tank, she'll or he'll (I'm told its QUITE difficult to accurately --- morays) need a bigger one SOON (like yesterday). Not necessarily because it will grow so fast (faster than you think, though!), but because it's a really "messy" animal--monster poops. Make sure you have a strong protein skimmer and strong filtration...I do weekly water changes on my eel tank after I feed them (only once every week to week 1/2) for this very reason--and I'm ANAL about cleaning the substrate. Make plans for upping the size of your tank :) These are not just long animals, they're thick, BEEFY animals, too...your baby is not SMALL at 24"...that's big in anyone's tank!
You might want to make sure your eel is WELL fed. Maybe that will help discourage him from eyeballing your fish...;) Didn't work for me, but anything to keep him away from your other animals.
I wish you the best. I love my eels. They are my favorites.
If you stick with it, you'll likely find them and endlessly fascinating as I do!
Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
HEY SPLASH1914: you REALLY had a Green Moray eat a leopard shark??? Oh Holy Mother!

thehat

Well I am gonna see how it goes for a month or two. I can always get it out and trade it in. You know more about eels than I but it sounds like maybe you were not feeding yours enough (hence eating your fish). Although I am no expert on anything. The fish store told me two feed him 2 to 3 times a week (which by the sounds of it will make him 37 feet in about 3 months). Oh the stuff I put myself through.
I have a very very good skimmer. I had 2 angel fish with a puffer and and triggers in the tank and they all lived happily for a year and a half. I also do weekly water changes on both my tanks. Water is always crystal clear.
Did you wear any protective gloves when you cleaned the inside of the tank so they won't pull you in?

polarpooch

Oh, I fed them enough. More than enough. Used to feed 3 times a week. I actually REDUCED the number of times I feed them. I feed them once every week to week and a half, depending on the size of the previous meal, and the voraciousness of their appetites. You must know, I have three morays cohabitating (Tesselata, Blackedge and Snowflake). Imagine the amount of poo from THAT.
Until you figure out what to do about the fish in your tank, I'd keep your moray pretty full with food. But you'll run into waste issues you never imagined-- but be vigilant about water changes, etc. , etc...blah blah blah , and monitor your levels DAILY for spikes in everything.... Good you said you have a fat skimmer--you'll need it.
I can't stress enough, though, that you'll need a bigger house for your moray (and your other fish...'cause they're going to get big, too).
I also recommend you watch for disappearing fish. If one disappears, it isn't hiding, it's dinner.
Hey, on the plus side, morays are super hardy. Does this make you feel any better? :)
Good luck new eel owner...you're braver than I!
***forgot to answer about feeding gloves. I don't use them. I use long feeding tongs made for reptiles. I also don't drop food in for them, I make sure each gets fed from the tongs. Eels are poorly sighted and can miss food on substrate. I'm just very careful about getting in their way when I clean the tank.

u235a4

I don't know anything about the Green Moray but I do have a Tesselata Eel and he is eating every day now and that is half of what my ray eats everyday which is bad. and is growing very fast. Oh and also he has eaten two of my clowns and trys to eat my horseshoe crabs....... so after everyone replys you have been warn and i hope your ready.

thehat

Well I took your advice and took him back. I didn't want the head ache. I was a little pissed that the manager acted like he knew that it was a bad purchase when i returned him. (he was pretty convincing in the beggining.) None the less I read up some on eels and now have a Zebra moray eel. Which is alot more peaceful so far. As far as what I have read they should leave the fish alone. Here we go again. Does anyone have any tips on the care or feeding or any unusual quirks about these fellas that I should know about?

polarpooch

Whew! I've been watching this post for days waiting for you to respond! Don't know much about Zebras, except that my book says they are much more timid than most morays--and sometimes hard to get eating at first. They're gorgeous, too. You'll probably be MUCH happier:D
Don't you wish you could SLAP the LFS guys sometimes?! I do.

reef-er

Just for some more info on Green Morays. I presently have one in my 500gal tank with a couple of sharks and a few Angel fish.. He is reletivley small for a Green Moray only about 14" and extremely mellow right now. I know from experience that it won't be long before he starts getting a major attitude..
My last Green Moray was almost 4' long before I brought him to my LFS but not before he ate my 30" long Tessy and took a chunk out of my 9" Clown Trigger. I learned my lesson that these awsome looking Eels will eventually turn into terrors in any aquarium..
Just so everyone is aware when my present Green Moray starts to get a temper I have a 300gal tank that he can go in and live with my Wobbegong Shark.. We will see who is Boss in that tank.
Tom