Green Moray in 29g...

joojoo

So there is a sporting good/fishing/camping/etc store and restaurant near me. They have several freshwater fish tanks all around the store. In the middle of the restaurant area is a 500+ cylindrical tank with some cool fish in it... then there is a 29 gallon off to the side with an adult Green Moray in it! I was shocked to see it, it was just sitting there... pretty much all it could do! It had some damsels in there with it, probably food. I asked the owner about it:
"Is that eel OK in that tiny tank?"
"Of course! See, in the wild, they live in caves. They rarely come out of their cave."
"OOO I see... *rolls eyes*"
I didn't want to be an ass and ask why it wasn't provided with a cave. So I just let him believe he was right.
Is he right?!
Or is this eel miserable?!

brian55

i cannt even imagine what that must have looked like seeing they get to 8 feet. thats just wrong!

lion_crazz

Yep, very wrong information. A fish store I worked at had an adult green moray for 6 years and it was too big for their 500 gallon display tank. They eventually gave the eel to a guy who had an 1000 gallon aquarium.

triga22

Poor thing. I would of been an @$$ to the owner :mad: . Thats horrible. You shoulda tough him whatcha know

joojoo

That's what I thought, what a shame. I really wanted to say something but I doubt it would make any difference. He said it's one of his customers' favorites
. They can get 8 feet long? Dang, maybe it wasn't full adult yet then, lol, I'd say it was a good 4-5 feet... still too big for a 29, though.

sharkboy13

Originally Posted by rara12
I wish you could file animal abuse on things like that, its so sad

u probably could, i saw some1 do it on animal cops houston, or was it phoenix? and it was a sw tank

S

surfinusa

Originally Posted by Sharkboy13
u probably could, i saw some1 do it on animal cops houston, or was it phoenix? and it was a sw tank
i remember that episode all they were doing was getting a few iguanas then the saltwater tank appeared :scared:

sharkboy13

Originally Posted by Deer
what did they find in the SW tank? I'm almost scared to ask... :scared:
oh just a damsel, midnight angel, skunk cleaner shrimp, kenya tree coral, and some lr

cagrn

Originally Posted by joojoo
Hmm, I might look into this. Justice for the Moray!

Call your local "Animal Cops", thats animal cruelty and pure ignorance on that store owner's behalf.

S

surfinusa

oh just a damsel, midnight angel, skunk cleaner shrimp, kenya tree coral, and some lr
and some kind of goby too

S

surfinusa

ya, haha, we sound so nerdy
hey i do not

andersh

ya kind of the same story i say a 50 gallon tank with 7 fully grown maroon clowns in it i asked the owned if his clowns were doing well and he said yeah they fight but there just playing around and i didnt say anything but i knew...

S

surfinusa

oh plz u remembered that episode and it was like months ago
no i saw it a few weeks ago ha!