gREEN ROCKS

S

savage21

I added about 30lbs of rock about 1 mo. ago i have been getting lots of green alge on my glass all water levels are normal. i did a 20 gal water change yesterday not as much was on the glass this morning. what else can i do to get rid of it ? the rock was given to me from a friend form a friend i did cure it for 2 weeks before adding it what can i do
i also have lots of tiny bubbles i dont see any in the wet/dry filter

dea_mt

do you have any snails? snag an algae blenny AKA lawnmower blenny and if you don't have any snails i'd grab like 15-20 mexican turbo snails...i don't like the astrea's because they fall off the glass to easily and get eaten by my hermit crabs but i haven't lost a mex. turbo yet! :happy:

S

savage21

i have about 20 of the small white snails not sure what you call them and 4 turbos i use ro/di watr

snipe

I dont know what it is? Was it green when you got it or did it just change green? Could it be green coralline algea I have a rock that has more green on it then it has purple.

S

savage21

this is what it looked like before i added the new rock may have went through a mini cycle fish are fine :cheer:

snipe

That big hermit wont do well I think it is a common hermit and he will probly eat other inverts. Also that fish in the 1st pic the one with the yellow tang wont do well either they need bigger tanks.

sammiefish

It looks to me like the tank is new... Id say just keep up with water changes... snail, hermits, if the green is fuzzy then an emerald crab... I have a queen conch... eats stuff real well... will even eat red cyano!!! Looks great!!! that green will go away if you are keeping the "house" clean... you could add macro to compete for nutrients ... otherwise, keep it up!!

meadbhb

Hiya,
Try cutting your feeding back, your lighting hours and maybe ad a phosphate pad to your filter to absorb some of the extra stuff in the tank.
Meadbhb

mudplayerx

Macroalgae growth is a little more complicated than simply putting the rocks into the tank.
Coraline algae requires four components: calcium, good lighting, proper ph, and proper alkalinity.
You will more than likely need to supplement calcium or limewater (kalkwasser) into your tank to keep the calcium levels from being depleted. This requires weekly testing though.
However, you can have all the calcium in the world in your tank, but if the ph and alkalinity are not tested and kept optimum, then your coraline algae will not be able to utilize the calcium.
If the ph is too high, then the calcium will turn into calcium carbonate and actually be counterproductive to the macro growth. If your alkalinity is not the right level, then the macro will be unable to draw the calcium from the seawater.
The worst part about having the incorrect alkalinity/ph levels is that the corals and coraline algae will get the ions they need from the carbon dioxide in your tank. This will lead to insufficient CO2 saturation (yes, you DO need some CO2 in your tank) in your water which will significantly raise your ph. When the ph rises too much, you go back to square one of the calcium turning into calcium carbonate.
Hope this helped.