Green Slime algae

peglet

I would like to ask advice for my sister-in-law. She has a 55g tank. Her filter system is all built in with drip plates in the back, etc. She has metal halide and is currently running 2 blue actinics and one 14,000K halide. I have had her check her water values and she says they all check out within normal range. Her Problem is GREEN SLIME ALGAE and some HAIR ALGAE on her rocks. This has been a real problem for her and I just don't know how to help her. I have told her to decrease her feedings to the tank and decrease her lighting period by several hours and to increase her water flow. I don't know where she gets her water. So what do you guys think? I have also had her run some chemi pure and no she does not have a skimmer. Thought I better let you know before you asked. How can a person have algae all over sand, rocks, glass and not have some kind of problem with phosphates or something. Any help would really be appreciated. She says everything but one clam has died, not once but twice. Her tank has been up and running for one year. What do you guys think????

bigalulrich

could use more specific info about test results. What are the values of the nitrate, phosphate, ammonia, pH
I would think chances are high that there is or was a nitrate/phosphate and water flow issue, but hard to say when everything is in 'normal range'.
Can you get more info or help your friend do the tests?
How often is your friend doing water changes now that there is this problem?

peglet

My sister-in-law says she does them every week. I don't live near her so I don't know for sure. According to her the nitrites, nitrates, amonia and phosphates are all at zero. She is coming over this Saturday and I have asked her to bring me a big jar of her water. I too am frustrated, as I can't understand if everything is testing at zero, how can you have an algae problem? I think she may have more than one problem. Perhaps I am not asking the right questions. I will have more accurate information on Saturday as I will test her water myself. She is doing a water change tomorrow so I hope this does not dilute the water down enough to mess with the test results. I know for a fact that she was overfeeding her tank and told her to cut way back. Perhaps she waited to long to do this. Way to many possibilities out there for this brain to think about. Was hoping someone with more smarts might have a magical answer. I asked her what salt she is using and she says Oceanic. Supposedly this is nitrate and phosphate free. I have never used it so I wouldn't know. Other than the nitrate, nitrites, phosphates, amonia, ph, what should I test for?

xcali1985

The reason you test 0 is because the algae is using it all up. What it sounds like she needs to do is a massive invasion on her tank and a 50% water change over the course of a week. You stated earlier that all she has left is a clam, if so then if she can purchase a 10 gallon tank and a clip on desk light and throw a 50/50 PC bulb in it to help it survive along with all the QT equipment.
This will allow her to take maximum steps in fixing this problem. Once thats done. Kill the lights. Don't turn them back on until you are sure its under control. Next step is to attack the glass. Pretty easy to do. Turn off all water flow then take some filter floss and start rubbing the glass bottom upward motion removing the algae that you wipe off. Take the floss and rinse it in 20 secs of the hottest water you can stand. Then repeat until glass is clean.
Next step, sand, move all rocks and such to one side of the tank and deep vac the sand bed it should pull a lot of the algae out. This step will also remove about 20% of the water by the time your done, depending on how much algae and how deep the sand is. Once the one side is all nice and good move everything over to the other side and do the same. Sand bed should be good now.
Next, take about 5 gallons of the water and a soft toothbrush and piece by piece pull the rock out and pull the hair algae and scrub the other algaes off the rock as best as you can. Keep the rock submerged in a bucket or some type of container the entire time. Keep the cleaned separate from the old rock. Should be easy if rock is still stocked to one side of the tank.
Now that you have taken extensive steps to bring the algae down, you can re aquascape the rock and place everything in. While you tank may be able to support life I would suggest against adding anything outside of snails, hermits & maybe a shrimp or two. You need algae eating livestock that will remain in the tank for the long term of the tank.
Still keep the lights out, these critters don't need light to eat. Keep an eye on the tank and over the next few weeks monitor parameters. You may in the beginning after cleaning have a spike in nitrates since you cleaned the sandbed so much.
This procedure I suggest only if the tank is completely taken over by algae not spots here and there. Similar to this even if its not this extreme anything close.

Had a friend use this procedure just 3 weeks ago when he was taken over by algae. Only difference is he had no fish but corals. Only difference was he moved all coral to one side on egg crate and the rocks to the other and used a black piece of plastic to block the light from reaching the rocks and sand. With 1/2 of his PCs on just the coral side.
Virtually no algae in the tank now, id say 2/3 more weeks and he will be able to rebuild his reef.

peglet

I would like to thank the two people who have at least tried to help with the problem I presented. It was most helpful. A great big thanks to both of you. I will pass this information along to my sister-in-law. I must say I am surprised that more people did not try to give some kind of insight on this. I know we have all experienced some kind of algae problems and have cured them on our own or through the help of others. I know this is a mundane subject, not near as colorful as "a new build", but to the person in trouble it is vastly important, even critical. I myself would be very discouraged if I was going through this and losing livestock and trying to figure it out with no luck. I would probably give up the hobby thinking it was to hard/complicated. With any luck I can pass along what has been suggested and with luck it will all work out. I hope that newcomers to this site won't get discouraged when they have a problem and don't get any response from the more experienced saltwater enthusiasts. I really want to applaud the two people who have tried to help. THANKS