Green Spotted Puffer converted to Saltwater?

serpentar

not true, they stop growing once they get into saltwater, b/c in the wild they do not go into saltwater until grown adults, so by putting them in saltwater it tricks their body. My puffer has not grown for the 1/2 a year that i have had him. You may disagree with what i am saying but all the peeps at the LFS support this theory.
As for the statement about them best being kept alone, if there is more then one they will destroy everything because they attack in a pack. Unfortunately, seen it done first hand in my friends brackish puffer tank. 4 them ripped a huge goldfish to pieces, shame.

joojoo

Originally Posted by serpentar
You may disagree with what i am saying...

But anywho, good luck with your puffer.

larryndana

not true, they stop growing once they get into saltwater, b/c in the wild they do not go into saltwater until grown adults, so by putting them in saltwater it tricks their body. My puffer has not grown for the 1/2 a year that i have had him. You may disagree with what i am saying but all the peeps at the LFS support this theory.
As for the statement about them best being kept alone, if there is more then one they will destroy everything because they attack in a pack. Unfortunately, seen it done first hand in my friends brackish puffer tank. 4 them ripped a huge goldfish to pieces, shame.
Ok, two things.
1. don't believe every word your lfs says, they are in the business to make money. thats why advice from here is so good....its free.
2. sounds like they are hungry. i'm sure a single puffer will rip a goldfish apart when its hungry.

peckhead

i also have a spotted puffer in my 90 g. he used to be in my 44 g. he is about the same size as the one in the picture. he always has been too. he has never gotten bigger once i put him in saltwater. and he used to be in a freshwater tank of mine. he has more personality then most of the fish i have. he eats anything and everything...
i also have a blue spotted puffer. at night when he goes to sleep he camos to a rock and it is hard to find him. but he finally picked his own rock to do this on, and my little green spotted puffer just started to sleep on that rock and turn his green to a greyish color and try to camo to the rock like the hawaiian blue spotted puffer. its cool

peckhead

maybe it is just the picture but mine looks really bright white on his belly and nice bright green on the top. and alot plumper. but i have had him for a while. and maybe its just the picure.
good job being able to keep him in sw. the colors will get really bright

J

jesses89

Originally Posted by larryndana
Ok, two things.
1. don't believe every word your lfs says, they are in the business to make money. thats why advice from here is so good....its free.
2. sounds like they are hungry. i'm sure a single puffer will rip a goldfish apart when its hungry.

and another thing...
whats your friend doing with a goldfish in a brackish tank?
they make those now?
and why would you want your fish to stop growing?

serpentar

He put a giant feeder goldfish in there, i know i am goin to get heat from some of u for telling me that it is evil & pure carnage. But, anyways people with small tanks don't want big fish & want more then 1 fish, its cruel to not give them room to roam or claim territory, this is why i am glad he has stayed small.
-Peckhead, thanks for the positive input instead of trying to point out the flaws of something that is not widely accepted or different. I would love to see some pics of your puffers!

stanlalee

Originally Posted by zanoshanox
this is just retarded...there are plenty of SW puffers with very colorful markings...Why not do one of them instead and save the fish some stress?

whats the big deal, brackish fish are kept in saltwater tanks FREQUENTLY. I live close to the virginia institute of marine science and most of the grad students I know have kept local brackish fish in their saltwater tanks for years without issue. it doesn't bother the fish after acclimation.

larryndana

-Peckhead, thanks for the positive input instead of trying to point out the flaws of something that is not widely accepted or different. I would love to see some pics of your puffers!
i don't think anyone flamed you, i know i didn't.

i could feel some of the tension. i had the pleasure of keeping one of these puffers in my sw aquarium awhile back(7yrs) and they do adapt well, eat everything, and are very entertaining. makes me watn to start a fig 8 tank.
also, how can you fault serp when you can buy these fish at your local wal mart. he is providing a better home for this fish than 98% of those poor fishy souls.

torno

Forgive me for asking, but what does the tang police have to do with acclimating a puffer to saltwater? Unless, of course, they handle all saltwater fish affairs, in which case, excuse this.

the tang police tend to flame for anything viewed as unnecessarily fast, not required, not enough, too much, etc...but im not flaming them, as they are right sometimes.
with that being said, i ALMOST bought the same puffer a few days ago, but i decided not to, because of the brackish thing as they get older. i have heard of them staying in fw their whole life, but they get better color, and more personality out of sw.

serpentar

I no longer have my green spotted puffer :(
I gave him back to the LFS b/c tore down my 20 gallon.
Just bought myself a 90g that i am goin to do the dopest reef in.
so this is the last time i will be using this thread, unless for some unforseen reason i get another puffer. Props to all u Green Puffer enthusist! so long!