green star polyp questions

reef rebel

Help,
Can anyone here help me out? I bought some green star polyps and they are not really growing well. All the other polyps I've seen look great. Mine are just not growing well.
I add iodine weekly, dose Kalkwasser daily,
add reef builder weekly. As far as lights go I feel this maybe the problem. I'm using 2 triton lamps and one actinic lamp. The lights
stay on for 8-10 hours. If anyone has any good feedback on this I'd really like to hear it. I'm thinking of upgrading the light to VHO bulbs for better output. Could the reason the polyps are not growing be from the lighting?
Thanks,
Andy

jtoliver

Yes, light could be the reason. You said that you are thinking about upgrading your bulbs to vho. You do realize that you will have to upgrade your ballast to a vho ballast as well, don't you? You said that you also add kalkwasser, I'm not sure, but I don't think that it will do anything for them since they are not a stony coral, someone else may know more about that. You might also try adding kents stronium/molybidium (Iknow that can't be spelled right) By the way, how long have they been in your tank?

rickt4du

I has very little light when I got my star polyps 60watts they tripled in size i added hufa and marine snow to the tank daily and covered them directly once a week...also mine never did well with a lot of current I moved them to a calm corner and they took of growing...
rick

reef rebel

Yes I add stonium. As far as the Kalkwasser goes it's for the coralline algae on my liverock as well as some other things. I've
had them in my tank for close to 6 months or more. Maybe the time frame is why they're not
growing as fast as I wish they would. Thanks for the replies. More are very welcome.
Andy

clayton

You need at least 4-5 watts per gallon for Star polyps, I have 3 species and they are all growing great. Be carefull with the iodine, are you measuring the concentration?