Green Star Polyp taking over??

same problem here i try pealing them back i think im going to scrub them off with something sharp a blade or something its stinging other coral

jackri

Ummm you do realize the stuff is alive and grows right? :D
Best you can do is try and frag it or scrape it off rocks. My GSP have really taken off but I gave them plenty of room to spread... my big problem is xenia but I have no problems setting a piece of live rock with coral attached on top of that (if there isn't a good way to frag it), and the xenia can grow around or get squished as I have soo much if it anyways.

aloysiusii

Originally Posted by jackri
http:///forum/post/2980470
Ummm you do realize the stuff is alive and grows right? :D
Best you can do is try and frag it or scrape it off rocks. My GSP have really taken off but I gave them plenty of room to spread... my big problem is xenia but I have no problems setting a piece of live rock with coral attached on top of that (if there isn't a good way to frag it), and the xenia can grow around or get squished as I have soo much if it anyways.
I like your idea of placing rocks on top of the coral to allow it to grow over it or just kill it.

reef46

When i had my tank set up I had my gsp rock sitting alone on the sand bed. All depends on how you want to aquascape, but I always know that I wouldnt have to worry about peeling it off of other rocks. (easy to frag when it grows out on the bed and lr rubble that I placed around it!)

debbie

I have a rock just for my gsp, when they start to grow off of it out it comes and this sounds mean but I take a knife and fork and cut and scrape away. I take at least half of it off, it pouts for a couple of days and then is back happy again. I have to do this once every 2 months and I have a nano tank too. Just keep it away from other rock if you can. I think its impossible to kill this stuff the more you torture it the faster it grows.
Good luck....

scopus tang

Hardly impossible to kill. If you want to get rid of it, use the same stuff you would for aiptasia. It'll kill it back, may take a couple applications. Best thing, as others stated, is to keep it off the main rocks, because otherwise it is going to spread. Even when placed as an Island, I've had it jump an inch or more to spread, so make sure its plenty far away.
Also GSP grows with a mat that can be pryed and pulled off of rocks (very difficult to get it all however. Easy to frag, simply cut and remove part of the mat and superglue it down to whatever rock you want it to grow onto. HTH

metweezer

I also have a problem with my GSP taking over my tank. I can't seem to peel it off and it is driving me crazy.

gil5280

i got a small pice of rubel of GSP at my lfs and it really hasent started to grow since i glues it to a pice of rock, is that normal? the hole other time i just had it loos and i would move around??
i hope it startes growing soon, i have it on a huge pice of rock i want it to take over

natclanwy

I agree with scopus, I have had excellent success using kalkwasser paste to control and groom my GSP, I just apply it over the polyps and mat on the areas I want to remove and it will die back and it has no effect on the rest of the coral.