green tinted water in my tank

trgirl

My tank has a green tint to it. I have some pretty high nitrate readings but salinity is good. I have had a water change and have just installed a new power head to get some better circulation. Any clues as to what this is from?

pancho

how long has the tank been running? when was the last time the filter media was changed what's in the tank? how's the lighting? need more info.

trgirl

filter has been changed a few days ago. lots of carnivores----3 triggers, 2 eels 1 wrasse in a 150 gal.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
What do you have in the tank? Is it FO or does it have LR? Have you added any medications?
Green water is usually free-foating algae bloom. What is your nitrate and phosphate levels?

trgirl

I know my nitrates are high, not sure on the phosphates. I have a decent amount of live rock in there. Should I do yet another water change?

lnarobbins

hey there, I had the green free floating alge plume stuff in my tank about a year ago my problem was the high nitrates and my tank was to close to the window
I did several water changes and put blinds on the windows
even in Oregon we get sun
so try another water change and limit the light for a while in the tank itself, I only kept the lights in the aquarium on for about 5 hours a day for a week
my tank cleared up and is still going fine
(except for a case of pop-eye on my flame angle)
good luck

cadbury

I just had the same problem last week, my problem is that there was too much light in my tank, so it caused a algae bloom. I just covered my tank with a white blanket for 4 days with NO LIGHT at all, it worked!!!

treble

I have herd that activated carbon can help this out...try a bag of that and let me know what happens.