green veggie for a tang?

dima96

i just got a sailfin tang. i have seaweed selects and will be getting some formula 2. my question is what green veggies should i be feeding him? i know about spinach and broccoli is there anything else that i might try? him was picking at the lr within 2 min of releasing him

N

nick17

Congrats on the sailfin.. very nice fish :)
Yeah, from what I've read about most tangs.. they will nip at sponges/algea from rocks and just about anything you put in.
Mmmm.. try the Sea Selects I believe it is.. they have good sheets of veggies/algea too..
Hope this helps,
-Nick

dima96

thanks i've wanted one for awhile now and finally found a small healthly looking one. i have the nori for him. i was kinda wondering about fresh veggies to for treats? i've heard they should be frozen to break down the cell walls. i'm just not sure about which ones are the best. btw i'll try to get a pic tomorrow and get it posted.

N

nick17

I am unsure with fresh veggies.. I don't believe I've seen someone feed their tang's fresh veggies.. but why not?
I'd start out with the fresh veggies as a snack or treat first, to see how it/they react to it.. the progress from there..
-Nick

N

nick17

Oh yes! pictures.. please post some..
I'm always curious to see some pics..
How many tang's do you have? I believe if you have more than one, the "tang police" will get ya.. I think one might be pushing it in a 75.. I think they need like 80+ gallons.. (correct me, if I'm wrong)
-Nick

dima96

i just have the one tang. my last fish. he is about 2 inches long and should be fine for the time being. i've been told an adult should have something like 150 gal tank. i will move him into larger tank down the road. i plan on moving within the next year and don't want to move a larger tank than i already have to. i'm planning on something 180 gal plus (a real pain to move).

cgr

I, too, have a sailfin tang and he eats like a pig. He/she has tripled in size since I got it about one year ago. My tangs love romaine lettuce. They devour on whole leave in a day. However, someone suggested in this forum not feeding them romaine so I switched to nori. Once in a while, I give them lettuce and they still love it.
120 Gal FOWLR
1 Yellow tang
1 Blue tang
1 Sailfin tang
3 chromis
1 cleaner wrass
1 tomato clown
1 sleeper gobie
1 scooter blenny
1 bicolor blenny
1 coral banded shrimp
1 sandsifter star
Emerald crabs, snails, blue and scarlet leg hermits
Wet/Dry filter w bioballs
5+” DSB
Ammonia 0, Nitrites 0, Nitrates 0, PH 8.2, Salinity 1.024

Originally posted by Nick17
"tang police" will get ya..
-Nick

I hate the cops! When they come after me, I run. Got caught once and went to county :rolleyes:

dima96

i thought about lettuce but it has no real nurtitional value. i might put some in once in a great while. i have heard zuccini is good for them. i still wondering about the freezing thing? my sailfin has been in the tank for less then 24 hour has been muching the nori and the algae of the back of the tank (yea, i don't have to clean the back of the tank anymore.)

krunk

Originally posted by oO BubbaGump Oo
Oh yeah, how the heck can anyones nitrates be ZERO? That's virtually impossible.

dont overstock, a good fuge, good filteration, etc...

T

toungetwster

Try frozen green or red leaf lettuce...they (tangs) love it....just don't feed it too often...not a lot of value..but still everyone has a "sweet tooth".

cgr

OK BUBBA, If it makes you day. I'll say my nitrates are undetectable.
120 Gal FOWLR
1 Yellow tang
1 Blue tang
1 Sailfin tang
3 chromis
1 cleaner wrass
1 tomato clown
1 sleeper gobie
1 scooter blenny
1 bicolor blenny
1 coral banded shrimp
1 sandsifter star
emerald crabs, snails, blue and scarlet leg hermits
Wet/Dry filter w bioballs
5+” DSB
Ammonia 0, Nitrites 0, Nitrates undetectable, PH 8.2, Salinity 1.024

Originally posted by KrUnK
Originally posted by oO BubbaGump Oo

Oh yeah, how the heck can anyones nitrates be ZERO? That's virtually impossible.

dont overstock, a good fuge, good filteration, etc...
My tank was fishless for 2 months, still had nitrates. I HAD a Penguin 170 BioWheel on a 10g, is that not good filtration?

dima96

bubba is penguin has a bio wheel which in 10g WILL cause nitrates to show up. the best fiftration i know of is a proper amout of live rock and a live sand dsb. and it is very possible to have low or zero levels of nitrates. they don't show up on my test kits. you really should do some more homework before you say something is immpossible.

That's why I'm on here, doin homework...:D
Thanks, guys. I have about 35lbs of live Rock and use about 25lbs of Live Sand... tanks been up for four months and fishless for the last two!
Why do my nitrates show up?
I have O nitrites, all other params are fine.