Grocery store clams

fishmamma

I don't know if any of you remember....it was quite a while ago some people started buying clams from the grocery store to put in their sand beds. Well I tried it, bought two clams. One perished rather quickly (same day) and the other is still alive. I am talking many, many months. Has anyone had their clams live longer than a few months? I am happy the little guy is still kicking, I just never expected to have him last through a calendar year. I have to try and find exactly when I bought him......

chipmaker

I'd say thats good, considering most of them are on ice for days on end in the freezer section of the seafood department, and on ice out of water for days at the fish market before being shipped to a grocery store. I kow they can stay for some time with water trapped intheir shells, but its still a long time to endure and still live. I threw a bunch of small (bout the size of a finger nail) clams that are readily found on the beaches here along the low tide line and sand bars and they all seem to be doing just fine also. Of ocurse they are not big and these were harvested right from the gulf and placed where their at within hours.
Try counting the ridges or "rings" on its shell and keep a record and see if it is actually growing.

joshd123

pull one out =-) haha. Are they just good for the tank or something? Or do you have them to just have them?

michaeltx

Yeah I had 4 that I thought where dead that I got for my huma huma trigger when I tore down the tanks when I moved I found them in the sand bed they were there for about 2 years and where still kickin. The also sell them on here https://www.saltwaterfish.com/site_11...ot_parent_id=4 basically the same thing as the ones we buy they arent the ornamental ones so they werent that popular till recently the started popping up as cleaner clams.
Mike