Grocery store seafood

ed d

Does anyone buy grocery store seafood to feed your aquariums. Shrimp, scallops, fish... I was told by a LFS that these typicallly contain persevatives and othr chemicals that are OK for human and toxic for fish. I have a nice size zebra moray eel, and the krill form the fish store seems to be getting smaller and smaller. Is store bought seafood safe to feed Mr. eel?

bbronco

i buy all kinds of stuff from the g store to feed to my fish. shrimp, crab, beef hart liver (fw fish) i have had no problems.

buzz

I tried some sea scallop for my anemone once, and it spit it out like I was feeding him poison...

kpogue

Works for me - I buy clams,squid and shrimp. All fresh and no problems. The only thing is the clerks look at you a little funny when you ask for 2 clams and a shrimp!

S

sebae0

some of the packaged stuff might contain preservatives but if it is from the seafood counter i would think its ok. read the package for the ingredients, i buy shrimp and scallops no problems yet and you cant beat the price you get. costco 2lb bag of frozen shrimp 12.85 1lb frozen krill at lfs 10.99 all the money you save priceless.......
sorry i had to do it

dburr

Do you buy the squid whole or cleaned, and the shrimp, do you clean it?
I was thinking of buy different things and throw it all in the blender. Then freeze it in a ice cube tray. Make the fish a cocktail. :D

splash1914

I do, just ask if the seafood your buying has any preservatives.. plus the lfs wants you to buy their food not the groceries.....

wrassecal

I buy frozen bags of mixed seafood - shrimp, squid, octopus etc. at the fish counter at Wal Mart. $4.00 a bag and it lasts forever. I just pull a piece out chop it real fine and feed it to the fish and anenomes with a turkey baster I also buy fresh mussels for my carpet anenome. Mine love it and I've been doing for about 10 months now with no ill effects.

learninbutlovin

I buy shrimp and dice & slice them for my anemones,,they gobble down with no signs of any bad reactions....just beggin for more.:D

oceanic

I purchase my shrimp at the grocery store and haven't had a problem yet. They have been loving it for about 8 months now. I was funny last night though when I went up to the fish clerk and asked for a couple shrimp. Me weighing about 260, he looked at me and informed me that that would not be near enough to fill me up. :D

blueberryboomer

I buy most of my stuff from the grocery store. Kalamary, crab, shrimp. I buy it from the freeze, have been doing it as long as I can remember. I get strange looks when I mention that I'm buy for my fish, people think I'm crazy! I have never had a problem with any of the stuff. Lisa

pufferfan

i use to buy fresh jumbo shrimp from the grocery to feed my puffer. Bought a few at a time and froze them. He loved them.

cincyreefer

Been feeding grocery seafood to our black tipped reef sharks for over two years now and they are doing great. As long as it is not prepackaged it is perfectly fine.

S

sinner's girl

we get little shrimp from walmart for the stars/inverts. we've never had a problem. we've had the stars over 2 years.

The scallops are also a great way to keep the hermits, sally, and the shrimp fed. The hermits are like bees to honey when scallops are put into the tank. Sally usually grabs a whole one and chews on that.
The snails seem to be happy about it also, because then the hermits are not murdering them.

ophiura

Originally posted by Ed D
Does anyone buy grocery store seafood to feed your aquariums. Shrimp, scallops, fish... I was told by a LFS that these typicallly contain persevatives and othr chemicals that are OK for human and toxic for fish. I have a nice size zebra moray eel, and the krill form the fish store seems to be getting smaller and smaller. Is store bought seafood safe to feed Mr. eel?

LOL!!!!
And so he says "you should keep buying this lower quality outrageously overpriced food from us!"
FWIW, most zoos and aquariums require that the food fed to the animals be fit for human consumption. There is really no higher standard. Don't go buy breaded fish sticks, LOL, but flash frozen shrimp and other seafood...or seafood from the fish market? No worries, IMO. I mean, really, ask that guy if his answer makes logical sense. However, if you wouldn't eat it, I wouldn't buy it for the fish. If it don't pass the smell test, don't use it.

cincyreefer

yes, ophiura I would agree with most of what you said but.... Just because something is safe for us, does not mean it is safe for fish. We drink tap water with chlorine in it, but that same chlorine can kill your fish. You can't always go by the assumption that if it is safe for humans, then it is safe for fish.