ground probe?

kahnsell

If I put the ground probe in my sump will it still take the voltage out of my tank? Or do I have to put it in my tank directly???
Also, how do I hook up the other end of it? Can I unplug one of my 3-pronged cords, put the circle part around the circular prong of the cord and then plug it back into the socket?

dogstar

I have a ground probe in my sump and one in the MT. If your probe plug end has two plastic prongs and a center metel prong then plug it in a three prong outlet that SHOULD be grounded to the house wireing already and the ring on the wire should go around the outlet plate screw, again that should already be grounded.

christssol

I have my grounding probe in my sump. I would think that since the water column is unbroken that will work fine. I haven't heard otherwise and that's always how I've done it :)

T

thomas712

Just putting a grounding probe in the tank DOES NOT CURE THE PROBLEM.
You have to also find what the problems is by using a voltage meter. If a device you have is causing the stray voltage then you need to be able to find it and replace that piece of equipment. Otherewise your still making a path for the current which will still be going through your fish. Adding a ground probe without fixing the problem doesn't fix anything.
Thomas

pyro

Sorry for the hijack - it seems the question has been answered already...
To check for stray voltage, could I just put one probe in the water and put the other one any grounded metal? Is it voltage or current we're checking for?

kahnsell

I bought the probe since every once in awhile, when I touched the water in the tank, I got a shock... I have no clue if there is voltage shooting through my tank. I have not experienced any problems yet. I may have gotten a shock from the water due to carpet friction for all I know...

T

thomas712

You test stray voltage with a voltage meter. They can run 20 dollars on up. You need to turn the voltage meter to the 120 AC Voltage. One end of the probe "black" goes into the ground on a outlet like the screw to the plate of the outlet will do, make sure that there is no paint or dirt on it. The other end ofthe probe the "red" end goes into the tank. Then watch the digital numbers or needle move. IF it does move then you have voltage in your tank. This is nothing new so no one need panic at this point.
Now you need to write down the voltage reading. Lets say you come up with 25 volts. Then start disconecting your electrical equipment one at a time. When the voltage goes down figure the difference and write that down as well, so if you unplug the heater and the voltage drops to 12 then your heater was giving off 13 volts alone and should be replaced, I have had that happen on a glass heater, and replaced it with a won pro heat. do this for all electrical equipment and replace as nessessary.
Does this mean that you will read 0 volts...NO Saltwater ions flowing will actually generates an electrical current, this is why some will say that ALL tanks have stray voltage.
Voltage enters the tank by several means, one of which is called induction which is the process by which an elecrtic current, or electric charge, or magnetism is produced by the proximity of an electric or magnetic field...ie powerheads other water pumps. If you use fluorscent lights they will have a strong electric charge inside the tube, and bubbles that break the surface of the water or fish that splash will spray saltwater and if that comes in contact with the lights it could provide a path right to your tank . Thats happend to me too.
It is important to note that even if you use a ground probe that you must as a matter of routine maintanance pull the probe out of the water and test your voltage with a voltage meter.
Thomas

christssol

Originally posted by Thomas712
Just putting a grounding probe in the tank DOES NOT CURE THE PROBLEM.

My probe is a just in case thing. Never know when a heater, pump, or whatever will fail and start leaking current. If it does the probe can hopefully save the tank until you detect it. Obviously if you know you have a current leak in your tank already a probe is not an adequate answer :)