Grounding probes

al mc

I have all my electrical equipment associated with my swf on GFIs but wanted to know how many of you use grounding probes and what the benefits versus any problems you know of using them. Thanks

perfectdark

Originally Posted by Al Mc
http:///forum/post/2525142
I have all my electrical equipment associated with my swf on GFIs but wanted to know how many of you use grounding probes and what the benefits versus any problems you know of using them. Thanks

I dont use one but considered it at one time. The information that I got was, if there is an electrical current running through your tank, it doest affect the entire volume of water. But rather a path to a ground source. If you dont know where the entry point is for the electricity or the path to ground then when you place the probe in your tank you could ultimatley be expanding the current to the probe.
I do not know how much credibility there is in all that. Only that there is a lot of speculation and no real diffinitve conclusions. I tested my tank for stray voltage and got a minimal less than 2v reading. Which from what I have read is normal. Other than a GFCI I run all my equip on a surge protector.