grouper owners

R

royalshrimp

i have a question... do youre groupers hide all the time, or do they swim around the tank in full veiw? i thinking of getting some type of grouper, but have noticed they always hide..:notsure: :confused:

zemuro114

my panther grouper is about 4 inches. i got him when he was 2. He is very friendly, eats out of my hand, and rushes to the glass when i walk in the room. however, he is growing rapidly (probably cuz i spoil him :) ) but he is a great fish! and realtively cheap to, and beautiful. :-D

R

royalshrimp

cool:yes: anyone else??? panther was one of my choices:yes:

bullshark

The Miniatus groupers tend to hide and be very skittish. I have a Honeycomb grouper that is way bold and always in the front of tank checking out what Im doing.
Panther grouper is also a fish that wont hide once aclimated to aquarium life/your tank. Caution: Panther grouper will outgrow most if not all home aquariums.

zemuro114

my panther hangs out in plain view all the time... but enjoys company, like food :) but yes, he is friendly without food

pufferman

Many of groupers are usually inactive during the day, but this depends upon species, too. I know some groupers like to swim out in the open. I used to have a V-tail grouper. I eventually had to get rid of him because of his cantankerous temper. Anyway, he usually hid in the cave all day except when there was any food present. An interesting thing about him is he could change his body color/pattern like a chameleon, which ranged from almost white to intense red......That was one fish with an appetite that could not be matched by any fish that I had.

goldpuffer

My panther grouper is 10+ inches long. He hides alont when the lights are on but he comes out as soon as the lights go off. I trained him to eat krill and shrimp out of my hand. I think the panthers are really nice. He's in a 75g now but as soon as the carpenter checks my beams I will decide on a 150g - 210g.

rjmang

You might consider a Arcos grouper. Mine is always out in the open, and the color changes are quite extreme.

rjmang

You might consider a Argus grouper. Mine is always out in the open, and the color changes are quite extreme.

excalibur

I had a v tail, He would change from deep red to white in the blink of an eye, He would hid ALL the time, even at feeding he would dart up grab some food and back behind the rocks.