Grouper photos

bullshark

These pics are a few months old, but still cool.
Here is my Bumblebee Grouper. They reach over 6 feet in the wild and in the hundreds of pounds. NOT A GOOD AQUARIUM FISH. Do not buy these.

bullshark

Here is my Honeycomb Grouper. It will reach maybe 12 or 14 inches, a much better choice aquarium fish than the one above. I have had this fish for 4 years.

bullshark

This is a Foursaddle Grouper, a DEEP water species, as evidenced by its much larger pectoral fins and HUGE eyes. I no longer have this fish, it was killed by the above Bumblebee Grouper :(

moraym

Is the Bumblebee Grouper in your 120g tank?
I'd love a bumblebee, but like you said, they require way too much space. And I dont think i'll have a tank that big any time soon. :)

bullshark

Originally posted by MorayM
Is the Bumblebee Grouper in your 120g tank?
I'd love a bumblebee, but like you said, they require way too much space. And I dont think i'll have a tank that big any time soon. :)

Yes it is. The Bumblebee is about 11 inches and the Honeycomb is about 8 or 9 inches. They are the only two in the tank. I have over 150lbs of live rock (not pictured in the above pics) with LOTS of hiding places. These two fish dont swim like a tang, so a bit smaller tank is OK for now, but it WILL outgrow the 120. A lfs near me will take it and put it in their 400 display tank that currently has a few bamboos and a few lookdowns, so it does have a place to go.
I actually did purchase a 450 gal tank for these two fish. I ended up moving to another house and the new place does not have a spot for the 450, so I sold it. Never even set it up.....My wife wants to add a great room (something like 40 feet by 30 feet) to our new house and has given me the thumbs up for an in wall system. I told her it needs to be at least a 12 foot long front viewing panel.....

John

B

bildotang

Awesome fish. I've never seen the bumblebee before. I can't believe they get that big. It's a very cool looking fish! Was it expensive?

bullshark

Originally posted by bildotang
Awesome fish. I've never seen the bumblebee before. I can't believe they get that big. It's a very cool looking fish! Was it expensive?

They generally go for $300 when at the 6 to 9 inch range, this guy was sold to me as an 8 inch fish from an on line vendor, but it arrived closer to 9 or 10 inches. It had been in his tank for 8 months and they were tired of feeding it. I bought it for $150 plus $40 to ship. Awesome fish!
I must say, it is not a good aquarium fish, dont buy one.
John

bullshark

Originally posted by Fin Follower Ed
I have a Bumblee Bee in my 180 that is about 4 inches now, he was only 20 dollars.:D cool fish by the way, I like teh lighting too.

There is a lfs who sells them occasionally for about $40 when they are around 2 inches.
The lighting is a standard strip light with a 40watt white bulb and a 40 watt actinic. The strip has a full reflector. Most of those pics are with just the actinic light on.
FFE, how long have you had yours?
John :)

I think I'm going on two monthes now, he's growing and loves to eat, awesome fish very friendly towards me, compared to groupers I've had in the past that hide all day.

asbury030

Hey Bullskark,
Could you help me find out the name of a grouper it is red and has green dots. i saw one at my fish store and i want one but i want to research.

bullshark

Originally posted by Fishman830
wow that's a pretty cool fish!!! how big do they get?

The Bumblebee??? Well, about 6 or 7 feet....:)