Grouper question

alfon76

Hi all. I have a question and am looking for honest opinions as I want to make sure I do the best I can on this. I currently have a 300 gallon tank that is housing a show sized Black Tang, a 10 inch Harlequin Tusk and a 5-6 inch Polleni Grouper.
I plan to add more fishes little by little over time but one of the ones I am considering is a small (5-6 inch) Lyretail grouper (Variola louti). Based on the fishes I have, my main concern would be any kind of aggression between the Lyretail and the Polleni both being groupers but not sure if the tank being big, having a lot of rockwork and them being both small, could lead to a peaceful cohabitation.
Any input will be appreciated,
Ivan

i personally love groupers in my tank and on my plate. lol
But it really depends on like you said how much rockwork you have in your tank.
You have plenty of space have you maybe given thought to a marbled catshark etc. that would be nice.
If they are both the same size that would be really good so they wont braul to much.
Also you will need a good filteration system.
But post a photo so we can see how much rock work you have.

chilwil84

they are closely related so u may have some aggression that you may be able to avoid with other groupers like white spotted panthers, leaflip (soap fish) etc. polleni (sp) miniatus, v-tails are called hinds by many are are not considered true groupers by some (many european scientists). good rockwork placement will help contriol some aggression if you can create 2 distinct areas of rockwork you may be alright but you may realize that nomatter what you do they wont get along

alfon76

Thanks for the replies. I was doing some searching on my own last night and have decided against the Lyretail only because I don't want to risk my Polleni. They could become best of friends but that is a chance that I rather not take.
Thanks again,
Ivan

aw2x3

Cepholopholis polleni and Variola louti are not closely related and you should have no problems housing them together, in such a large tank...given there are enough areas to establish seperate territory.
Also, Variola louti has the potential to grow to 83cm, which is quite a large fish. You'd have to worry about it eating ALL of your fish.

hammerhed7

Louti's do get very large, and sometimes end up as the only fish in the tank over time. They will eat anything that will fit in their mouth, and attempt to eat many things that wont fit. Very impressive when at adult size though.

chilwil84

my total bad for what ever reason i read the louti name and my mind said v-tail awx is totaly right and they arent closely related and are a lot less likely to have problems but a poleni is a beautiful fish (and expensive) and not wanting to take any chances with it is a safe call.

alfon76

Thanks for all the replies as they all confirm my belief of a gorgeous looking grouper eating the rest of the tank.
Ivan

srfisher17

You might not really be looking for suggestions; but you have some great fish (I love tusk fish) and most are pretty much loners. With all the room you have, a group (1M,2+F) of larger Anthias would really look great and usually swimming well outside the rockwork..but we all have our own tastes.