Grouperhead???

power

You and I seem to like the same fish. I just got a Miniatus Grouper to go along with my Guinea Fowl puffer. I also have small undulate who has bight yellow lines and a bit of a mean streak. The trigger gets mad at feeding time because he has to wait for the bigger fish to feed first. My question is this:
I like to feed a variety of frozen cubes. The grouper has always been fed goldfish but I don't want to go down that messy road. Any ideas??? I took a picute but he is new and still hiding.
JP:)

shadow678

My miniatus loves frozen krill, and fresh squid from seafood variety packs from the local grozery store. It's good that you are going to wean it from goldfish, which should be pretty easy, as groupers will eat almost anything put in the tank. Once it gets accustomed to teh tank, you'll really love the miniatus, as it will begin staying out in view more and more.

grouperhead

Very nice post by Shadow. Groupers will eat anything. I've fed clams, squid cubes and chunks, shrimp, krill (frozen and freeze-dried), brine, mysis, prime reef, predator formula, and silversides. None have been refused, ever. Like shadow said, the grouper should be no problem to wean. If he is shy and you don't think he is getting the opportunity to feed, use a feeder stick. I use plastic cocktail mixers, they are cheap and effective for impaling things on. I can't tell you how much I love my new undulate. He is still a bit shy, but right when I put some squid or food in there, bam he is out of his rock and feeding. They are IMO, the prettiest triggers. Just keep a close eye on him, I wouldn't want him to harass any of your other fish. Some people I've talked to who have kept undulates told me theirs never got mean at all. Always stayed kinda shy and passive, while others said theirs turned into the demon fish from hell. I maybe hit or miss, but I tend to lean to more of a hit. Your miniatus is very pretty :). Take care, Bo

power

Thanks for your insight. I am in a bit of trouble with my wife because she wanted a big reef. Oh well. I sold my extra rock and I'm the proud owner of one mean saltwater neighborhood. Here after refered to as "the hood." I am looking at one last addition. One 8" blue ribbon eel. My lfs says no. He says too hard to feed. Do you have any experience with them?
JP

power

I had my undulate in a solatary for 120 days and he can be fred by hand. I just put him in the show tank and he likes his new space. He seems fine with the slower fish. green chromis & a small Fiji puffer, but He and the new grouper are not on the best of terms yet. Good luck with yours I'll be keeping a close eye on my set up for a couple of months, just to be sure. I paid 40 bucks for my grouper. Thanks again. JP