Groupers? Anyone?

greenwolf52

No one ever talks about groupers. What's up with that? Does nobody have them. I know they're a pain to keep in line. I had a powder blue for about 2 months and holy crap. What a menace he was. Damn near ate my yellow tang on two occasions. He was a handful to say the least.

ophiura

Originally Posted by greenwolf52
No one ever talks about groupers. What's up with that? Does nobody have them. I know they're a pain to keep in line. I had a powder blue for about 2 months and holy crap. What a menace he was. Damn near ate my yellow tang on two occasions. He was a handful to say the least.

They are pretty commonly kept actually.
However as most will outgrow typical hobbyist tanks (most of which are likely under 100g), thankfully not everyone tries to keep them. I definitely suggest people only keep fish they can keep for life...and groupers, with some exceptions, really need tanks in the 150g or larger range, IMO.

fishrule

I had a Panther Grouper about 12 years ago... I was by far the most intelligent and coolest fish I ever had.
I had to give him up to someone with a much larger tank as he became big enough to eat my other fish and out grew my tank with in a few months after I got him. He was about 1" long when I got him from the LFS and became 6.5" long in about 5-6 months... (I fed him well.)
If I ever start a 240 gallon aggressive tank in the future, I will get one again, but I don’t think I would keep one in anything less than 200 gallons...

wanabebell

I had a miniata until he almost killed my harlequin tusk
so I took the miniata back
beautiful fish very intelliegent
and I love that they are always watching you
just another species for another day

cunningham

I HAVE A PELLINI GROUPER HE IS GREAT, HE DOES NOT MESS WITH ANYONE, EXCEPT THE OTHER NIGHT MY WIFE SAID MY SMALL UNDULATED TRIGGER WAS TRYING TO TAKE HIS SPOT UNDER HIS ROCK ,AND THE GROUPER TOOK HIM IN HIS MOUTH AND SHOOK HIM LIKE A DOG WITH HIS TOY AND THEN SPIT HIM OUT. NEEDLESS TO SAY THE TRIGGER HAS STAYED AWAY

bill109

there is a panther grouper at my lfs he is only 1.5 inched long.. wow he is awesome.. i would love to buy him buy my 90 is far too small. everytime i go in a say not only how awsome a fish but wish i could keep him.
they are neat cus he has this big fins tht make him swim unique. :cheer:

unleashed

i kept a panther grouper in my 125 for almost 5 yrs he was 12 inches at least when he passed away very well behaved fish kinda lazy accually but very cool looking .unfortunately i lost almost all of my fish to a faulty hydrometer after moving