grow out tank ques.?

scooterble

if you made a grow out tank that was very wide and long but only 6 or 8 inchs tall what kind of lights or how many watts would you want to have over it to grow most any thing ? thanks

dragonboy

Well since its not that deep of a tank PC, T5 or T12 are fine you don't need too strong of a light but if its a certain type of coral that needs a lot of light a 150 watt MH wouldn't be bad as well.

N

nereef

i would think you could grow anything with pc in an eight inch tank.
you would be sort of limited for rock and substrate space though. i would love to see it when its finished.

viper_930

Originally Posted by NEreef
i would think you could grow anything with pc in an eight inch tank.
Then according to this, I can grow anything in my 21" deep tank with PC lights as long as I keep them in the top 8", right? Nope.
I'm building a 45" x 13" x 10" frag tank in the upcoming week mostly for soft and SPS corals. It'll have 2x150 watt DE MH lighting it.

mikeyjer

Originally Posted by ViPeR_930
Then according to this, I can grow anything in my 21" deep tank with PC lights as long as I keep them in the top 8", right? Nope.
I'm building a 45" x 13" x 10" frag tank in the upcoming week mostly for soft and SPS corals. It'll have 2x150 watt DE MH lighting it.
I would have to agree, it depends on what your growing in there. If you want stuffs like SPS, you really need MH. :happyfish

scooterble

i guess i just dont understand this whole watts per gal . thing they say to shoot for 6 or 7watts per gal but if you put a 14 watt pc over a one gal. tank thats no good it has to be mh but if you put 150 mh over a 20 gal tank and thats 7.5 watts thats ok just a little confused i guess

viper_930

Originally Posted by scooterble
i guess i just dont understand this whole watts per gal . thing they say to shoot for 6 or 7watts per gal but if you put a 14 watt pc over a one gal. tank thats no good it has to be mh but if you put 150 mh over a 20 gal tank and thats 7.5 watts thats ok just a little confused i guess

Exactly why I say to never use the WPG formula - it doesn't work!