Growing on my snail.........ID please

zman411

This is growing on my snail.............
Very interesting (this is the first thing in my tank I have paid money for)
could you Id this for me
(is this a feather duster?)

wont hurt the snail at all, and no you cant move it because it has a calcerous tube. Some feather dusters have a soft outer casing and can be moved, but not this one.

zman411

sorry for so many questions...................
Will it multiply?
:cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:
I have a feather duster!!!!!!

All of mine have bred in my tank. I have at least 30 in my tank. Do you add phytoplankton at all? If you do, they will multiply more quickly, but you can also cause an algae bloom.

zman411

I haven't added anything yet
just set it up a couple of week ago.
So I'm still establishing it..............
just seen my first sign of...any growth...........about a week ago
so the duster amazed me to see it in the tank so soon......................:eek:

sammystingray

Looks like a serpulidae to me, and if so, they're pretty cool, and more closely related to christmas tree worms I think.
I do NOT believe they can reproduce without another one present because the sexes are seperate. I believe the male and female release eggs and sperm into the water column, and then when the two meet, the stork shows up. I don't think a single specimen can reproduce though. If you have live rock, then there's a good chance you have another. He won't hurt the snail of course. Just watch the snail in case he dies, so you can put him in a nice spot.

kitty

Originally posted by sammystingray
Looks like a serpulidae to me, and if so, they're pretty cool, and more closely related to christmas tree worms I think.
I do NOT believe they can reproduce without another one present because the sexes are seperate. I believe the male and female release eggs and sperm into the water column, and then when the two meet, the stork shows up. I don't think a single specimen can reproduce though. If you have live rock, then there's a good chance you have another. He won't hurt the snail of course. Just watch the snail in case he dies, so you can put him in a nice spot.

I posted in another thread about this---I have what I think may be egg masses on several of my dusters. They are jelly-like, donut shaped blobs at the end of the tube. They have tiny white specks throughout the mass. They are only on the larger ones (I have about a dozen or so on a particular piece of LR). 2 of them did this about 2 weeks ago. My main concern is that it isn't some sort of fungus or something that has gotten into my tank. Tell me everything you know !please!

zman411

Originally posted by Neowind
Thats awsome I wish my snail would grow one hahaha :eek:

I made my snails grow them so that I can tell the girl snails from the boy snails...................................:hilarious