Growing or Dying?

reeferdude

I have a small brain I bought about 3-4 weeks ago. The first night it was in it started to bleach out a little but stopped. No there is a little brown and neon green growth on the top of the brain, is this the coral growing or some kind of parasite? The coral is in a 10 gallon with a penguin 120, a coralife 65watt pc and I dose with Kent Kalkwasser when I top off, Reef Success Calcium +3 by Red Sea every week. I don't know how much calcium is in my water because I don't have the test kit (coming in the mail as we speak) but I know it is a heck of a lot!

justinx

well, I am not sure about this, but I have a green open brain, and it too bleached after I acclimated it. It stayed this way for about a month, then it started to regain its color. Now it is the centerpiece of my tank.
Give it some time and keep an eye on it watching for tissue recession, and continued bleaching. Is there anything in the tank that would be causing stress?
But where is it in your tank and is it green or red? The green generally like much more lighting than the red.
HTH
Justin

justinx

what about current? Mine is in a light/moderate current where as it was light when it bleached. I guess, all you can really do is give it some time. Like I said, I was ready to give up on it then it came back beautifully.
Maybe if you let it think that you are going to get rid of it, it will come back to life!:D :D

T

thomas712

Reeferdude.
I don't have any brains......................In my tank yet but hope to get one.
Just stopped by to say Happy Birthday :)
Thomas

fishtails

From what I've heard, Brain corals do better if you dose iodine also. Maybe try doing that and see if it get's any better.

T

thomas712

So come on Reeferdude, what did you get for your tank yesterday. And don't tell me you didn't go out and spoil yourself, your birthday is a great excuse to get something new for the tank. :D
Thomas

justinx

Originally posted by Fishtails
From what I've heard, Brain corals do better if you dose iodine also. Maybe try doing that and see if it get's any better.

I have never heard this, but if you decide to dose Iodine, then be sure to buy a test kit, and a good one at that. Iodine is VERY easily overdosed.