Growth on walls

topofsteel

I haven't cleaned the back of my tank. The outside is painted blue and I'm trying to get a natural coralline backdrop. But all I've gotten so far is loose green algae that slides right off. How do I promote coralline growth, thanks.

aztec reef

Vigorous water flow abundance throughout tank + good water chemistry(especially Calcium,Alkalinity & magnesium...)

florida joe

You need coraline to grow coraline it will not just start with out some sort of seeding get a nice piece of live rock with a good growth of coraline and use a tooth brush (not your personal one lol )) and brush the rock to stimulate the spoors entering the water column

donald

I agree you have to have some to get it started, like on a nice piece of LR. Good water quality will do the rest along with a little time. Dont waste your money on stuff like purple up, its a waste of money in my opnion.

I had a really good growth of coralline. It was growing on the glass, rocks, everywhere. Then I decided to drop my specific gravity from 1.026 to 1.022. The coralline all went away and a new red algae appeared which is like red velvet. I never saw anything like this before. I guess salinity plays a big part in corralline growth.

florida joe

I personally don’t think the drop in salinity adversely affected your coraline. If true the converse would be true. And I have never seen any info stating that to facilitate the growth of coraline raise your salinity

1990jpyj

when my water temp was higher i noticed that it grew a bit faster then when it was at 78. i kept it at like 82 and she grew like crazy. but that how it worked in my tank. not sure if thats how it is everywhere.

florida joe

Originally Posted by 1990jpyj
http:///forum/post/2896800
when my water temp was higher i noticed that it grew a bit faster then when it was at 78. i kept it at like 82 and she grew like crazy. but that how it worked in my tank. not sure if thats how it is everywhere.
Higher temperature facilitates respiration in all living things in our tanks

boosted306

I had a few spores on my heater and then it went out. I tried scraping most of it of with my finger and now I have a few (spores) growing on the glass. I am being over come with a green algae that is taking over the glass. I am scraping that off every day just about. I think that I may be running my lights to long though. I have always heard that coralline needed a very good light to grow. Even as high as MH. I do not know if this is true but tanks with a higher wattage percentage per gallon seem to grow more algae.
On the PU additive I personally have to disagree that it is useless. I used it for quite some time and had good results with it. I think it is just to maintain or regulate calcium levels. I could be mistaken which in this hobby is often, just sharing my personal experience.

aztec reef

You dont need any special lighting for coraline growth..
I was under the impretion that all lr has at least a dime size patch of coraline.. All u have to do is scrape some of that off with a razor or whatever u prefer..this will spread pores evenly & faster.. But nothing will happend if the water parameters are lame..