Growth progression of one of my favorite sps

brooklyn johnny

Hey guys... I was going through some old images and wow is it amazing how things change so gradually you forget how they used to be (like your neighborhood... and your corals!).
This is one of my favorite acroporas that was received as a frag of a wild colony (that has since passed in a buddie's tank). This Acropora millepora is very unique in it's growth structure, forming completely fused branches in a table formation. Its color speaks for itself.
Also of note is the staghorn acropora robusta underneath that has grown also... with both fighting for the same real estate. Soon this baby will have more room to grow in the 180...
Knock on wood I hope it continues to do well... as I come home from every business trip and slowly walk into the living room like this...:hilarious
Enjoy... here is the colony yesterday... also of note is the bennett/cali Acropora tortuosa colony that I received as a frag three generations removed from Shawn Bennett's tank... this grows much faster than the "truer blue" of the Oregon tort...

jauringer

Wow, it looks like most of the growth has happened in the last 6 months. very nice Acro.
congrats on TOTM

nm reef

Fantastic growth...very unusual coral ... don't see it all that often. Certainly looks healthy....crowded and needs to be fragged and distributed...but healthy.Several corals in the first few pics need to be fragged out....donations readily accepted.:D
Great camera work too.

brooklyn johnny

Originally posted by jauringer
Wow, it looks like most of the growth has happened in the last 6 months. very nice Acro.
congrats on TOTM

Thanks jauringer... the answer to that is two-fold really... As we know frags take a while to settle into each environment, and then take off. However, it's sometimes deceptive because these corals grow exponentially instead of linear if you know what I mean...
Instead of one branch turning into two, into three, into four... it goes... one, two, four, eight...
That needs to be taken into account when you frag too, as that one small branch would be much more six months down the road in your tank...one of the reasons why Steve Weast's Oregon tort colony is so impressive!
Patience pays off!
NM_reef thanks bud! You are on the short list!
Johnny

sergeant

Wow Brooklyn Johnny
Those pics look fantastic. I have saved in a file all the pic of your ten gallon at the old apartment and I have to say "you are the man". I would love to have my tank looking half of what yours do. Do you still have old george with you? Do you mind if I use him as my agatar pic? What really is your secret on all this reef tanks?
Tito

stuckinfla

In my honest opinion, something that grows that fast is a WEED!!! Eradicate it now!! I am a herbologist send to me and I will tell you of my finding of this evil WEED!!!

brooklyn johnny

Originally posted by Sergeant
Wow Brooklyn Johnny
Those pics look fantastic. I have saved in a file all the pic of your ten gallon at the old apartment and I have to say "you are the man". I would love to have my tank looking half of what yours do. Do you still have old george with you? Do you mind if I use him as my agatar pic? What really is your secret on all this reef tanks?
Tito

Tito thanks bud... we are actually still in the apartment... our house should be ready before Christmas... last weekend we went in it for the first time, and of course I went right to the "fish room", as I am planning the 180 gallon that will house everything from the 65. Unfortunately George is the one member of the 10 gallon clan that has passed on, after being killed by my peppermint hogfish in the 65. It was very tough to see him go, and I had no power to stop it. Kramer the sixline and Jerry the clownfish live on in the 54 corner. Jerry is now happily paired up with another Solomon Islands percula clown, and it's still a tossup as to whether or not he will become the female of the pair. Use old George as your avatar... he was a great fish that saw my wife and I through many meals...

As to my secret there is none... have you read my article in the September issue of Reefkeeping Magazine? That has many of my methodologies in it. Steve Weast and I pretty much see eye to eye, and he has a great site too for information. What I can say in short is that on top of this being a technical hobby, it is also and art, and many people fail to see that.
stuckinfla... you remind me that the best way to avoid nuisance algae growth is to cover everywhere with coral... replace one weed with another...:joy:

nm reef

nmreef@"hatespam"cox.net
Wonder just how short that short list is? LOL
Feel free to contact me anytime...

sergeant

Thanks for letting me use the pic
and at the same time Im sorry to hear that he's gone.
great looking fish. But I cant wait to see the monster set up you are going to do in your new home.:jumping: Keep us posted . I will look for the magazine to read the article. Thanks again.
Tito