grr cyano outbreak.

skirrby

well over the past few days, maybe a week. my tank has been starting a bad cyano outbreak. its really getting bad.. so far only affecting my sand and a small spot on my rocks.. all my levels are zero, everything tests great. lights right now are powercompacts, 260 watts. bulbs are about 6 months old now, could that be the cuase, i always thought pcs needed changing once a year. i dont think its flow cause its all over even in some of my highest flow areas. ive been feeding a small amount once a day.. i think ill cut back to every other day.. light scedule is actinics on at 11am, daylights at 12, day off at 9, actinics off at 10. what would be a safe level to drop the lights down to. also im going to be putting my halides on here in about a week, is that going to really make the stuff take off?

judyk

When I had it, I tried all suggestions but nothing worked. About that time my flame angel got pop eye and my LFS had me use Myracin(sp) and said it would get rid of both problems because they were a bacteria problem. The fish died anyway but the cyanno disappeared for a couple months. Now there is a little on the sand against the glass. We'll see if my conch does anything about it.

S

spsaddict

did you switch your kelvin rating on your lights at all? if not how old are your rodi filters?

skirrby

havent changed lights at all.. about to add halides, ro/di filters are about 5-6 months but the tds still tests the same as it did when it was brand new

rwhite

And I thought it was only me! All of a sudden we got the red slime. Heres my theory on why it happened to us, let me know if ya'll agree/disagree. A little over a month ago, I decided to remove the glass tops. At this point I'm thinking more light is reaching the bottom which is causing my outbreak. I've already cut back on lighting, feeding and the rest of the standard stuff. Going to try removing as much as I can manually and see what happens from there. I know its not much help to you, skirrby, but at least you're not going through it alone. Good luck.

skirrby

yup window behind my tank.. i do get sunlight on the sandbed in the morning before lights on. would this really cause a problem 6 months almost 7 months after the tank as been setup. i dont know how much will come through with the new canopy,, but i guess i could cover up the window

S

spsaddict

yes direct sun will deffinatly cause cayno... plus you feed to much, i feed 2 times a week

skirrby

well looks like im going to block off that window asap... and you really think i feed to much? i do feed lightley when i feed. would it help to harvest some of my macro algea so it can grow some more?

S

spsaddict

imo yes a everyday feeding no matter how small unless you have a big tank of 150 gal or more is way too much. harvest that macro itill help, not cure..

spinner

Skirrby -
How long has the tank been set up in its present location? It's not uncommon to have cyno outbreaks during the summer months. I've got no scientific reason why except that more sunlight (direct or indirect) may be hitting the tank and that ambient air temps are typically higher with more humidity than during cooler or colder winter months.
I'd be reluctant to treat the tank medicinally unless the problem gets out of hand. I think you're on the right path - block the indirect sunlight and look at your bulbs.
Spinner

jeepboy

Our 55g tank has problems with cyano. Probably due to exccess feeding since I feed 2X day. I've stopped putting as much nori in the tank and now the fish eats the cyano, so it is under control but not completely gone.

reefer44

no one has said this.....when i got it i lowered my temp tol 80 from 83 and if you increase your silinty it goes away
well it worked for me
Brad

skirrby

well my temp stays around 78ish. im going to cut back on the feeding. doing a water change today. that would be weird if its just a summer thing, the tank has been up for almost 7 months now. it dont seem to be getting any worse, but not any better.. guess ill harvest out some macro and see what i get also