grrrr! receding lps corals.

I've had my tank for 3 years. And the passed 3 months I have been losing lps coral after lps coral. They are just slowly dying. No red bugs or flat worms. I dose zoo and photo plex for feeding along with shrimp. They get calcium supplements. I'm just lost now. Any Ideas?

ibanez

You do one 50 percent water change a month? How big of a tank? Have you ever tested mag, or suplimented any trace elements. We need more information about things. What corals are receeding? Pictures?

its a 125 and yes once a month. sometimes every six weeks. corals did fine before on that water change schedule...use calcium and trace elements supplements from kent. the lps that are receding are most of my brains and hammer coral. you can tell the receding is gradual. because there is barely any white showing. also, i have no algae blooms. have a few pest anemones that i need to get some joe's for. use ro water. but haven't changed my filter in about over a year. i use amquel for each water change to be safe on chlorine. have a dusky wrasse, yellow coris, pajama cardinals, naso, and an 8 inch purple tang, royal gamma, and 3 green chromis. have a few zoas...most of them have died as well. some softies as in mushrooms which seem to be florishing more than usual. tons of snails and a few hermits. two urchins. one urchin i have no idea what it is. can't identify. it was a hitch hiker. deep sand bed. have a few fire worms that the wrasses do a good job of keeping under control. some astreas, but not pesty. run a sump with skimmer uv sterlizer and phosphate reactor with phosban. have 2 250w 14k metal halides with atinics. only feed once daily flakes and pellets, shrimp every so often. i'd be happy to answer any other question, just shoot.

ibanez

It is hard to tell, everything sounds like it should be good, You should probably test tds, chlorine, chloramine. I'll have to think about this one for a while, maybe someone will chime in tonight, or tomorrow morning.

A

abeandlulu

How much flow do you have. When was the last time you cleaned your power heads. I clean mine about every 6 months. You can tell a difference in flow. My coral will also start to close up when the flow dies down. Just my 2 cents.

flower

Originally Posted by sly65sally200
http:///forum/post/3257058
its a 125 and yes once a month. sometimes every six weeks. corals did fine before on that water change schedule...use calcium and trace elements supplements from kent. the lps that are receding are most of my brains and hammer coral. you can tell the receding is gradual. because there is barely any white showing. also, i have no algae blooms. have a few pest anemones that i need to get some joe's for. use ro water. but haven't changed my filter in about over a year.
i use amquel for each water change to be safe on chlorine. have a dusky wrasse, yellow coris, pajama cardinals, naso, and an 8 inch purple tang, royal gamma, and 3 green chromis. have a few zoas...most of them have died as well. some softies as in mushrooms which seem to be florishing more than usual. tons of snails and a few hermits. two urchins. one urchin i have no idea what it is. can't identify. it was a hitch hiker. deep sand bed. have a few fire worms that the wrasses do a good job of keeping under control. some astreas, but not pesty. run a sump with skimmer uv sterlizer and phosphate reactor with phosban. have 2 250w 14k metal halides with atinics. only feed once daily flakes and pellets, shrimp every so often. i'd be happy to answer any other question, just shoot.

You must be kidding right...

What type of filter?

I haven't changed the ro filters. I have a mag shooting 4 different ways. I had a six maxijets on a wavemaker system. but took those out because someone told me I had too much flow. The brains were receding before I took those out.

flower

Originally Posted by sly65sally200
http:///forum/post/3257125
I haven't changed the ro filters. I have a mag shooting 4 different ways. I had a six maxijets on a wavemaker system. but took those out because someone told me I had too much flow. The brains were receding before I took those out.

Oh, the RO filters…They no doubt need to be changed after a year. LOL…I thought you had a canister filter or something on those lines.
This is what I think is going on ( I am no expert) You had a wave maker that put too much flow on the LPS corals, even though you took it out, on the ones I have tried to keep, once an LPS is stressed they keep slowly receding. I had a Galaxia that took over a year to finally bite the dust it receded so slowly. Once they get started they just keep going until they are gone. I know it isn’t very encouraging, sorry.

luvmyreef

You should replace the carbon and micron filters every six months or sooner if you notice discoloration...