Gsp In Trouble?!?!

melypr1985

Is my GSP in trouble? I haven't seen it open up all day, and when a snail started moving it I went to shew the snail away and adjust the frag and noticed this hard white stuff in the middle of it!! What is it? Is it in trouble? What do I do?

big

Sometimes the silly things just close up for no apparent reason.......Several days to as much as a week or even weeks later they open back up.
A little extra flow from a PH on them sometimes opening them back up.
I had a chance learning experience with them a while back
and have seen it happen now time and time again in my tank.. I had placed a big chunk of Zoas down on a larger spot of GSP's.....Within minutes
almost all the GPS in the tank, some 4 or so feet away closed up tight......The next day all of the little coral weeds where still closed....
This was at least 8 or 10 patches of them, some very large, some small. It was about a week till the reopened. The only assumption I could draw from this was some kind of a biochemical signal to the other GSP groups of impending danger.?????.......
I have not yet read of any particular chemical release issue with GSP, but it is about the only assumption I can draw from seeing the event occur many times ..... In other words maybe they do this as a protective measure somehow.
But they do close up from time to time for what seems like no apparent reason. But it never fails the pretty little animal weeds of the coral world will with time open back up. Good luck with yours, they are tough little critters, they will come back.

melypr1985

oh good! it seems that everybody i have talked to has said basically the same thing. (even though most of them tell me that i need to isolate them). when i got my kenya trees the guy gave me some random polyps of some sort and that's about the time the gsp closed up. i hope your right and they will come back. even though most people aren't happy with them because of their growth rate, i love them! i want them to take over that entire rock!
Thanks for all the help!

debbie

They look really healthy and clean. Extra flow on them as suggested and they will open up when ready. Mine do this all the time.
They are so neat swaying in the water with their bright green color I to love them but do keep them in check as they spread really fast. I even have mine on the sand bed and they can spread on that too.
Good luck

melypr1985

i put a power head in the tank last night and i'm working on the perfect direction for it. but as of right now i have it flowing right over both gsp frags. i'm starting to see some sign of life. they look like they are trying to come out but are reluctant about it.

big

The extra flow will help to open them up.
The pretty little "Coral weeds" will grow just about anywhere. Even on your glass. They can be used to hide the back "seam" making the tank look deeper.... Here are two shots in my 72, first showing them in the bacground to hide the plain back glass look. The second is a close up shot of them.

melypr1985

That's beautiful! I want mine to grow all over like that. With pruning and time i hope they will. They are starting to come back out little by little by the way. so i'm not so worried about them any more.

big

Thanks, the little coral weeds will grow just about anywhere. Here is a shot of my little weeds and how they take over. But the Acan has enough hardiness to live there happily.
I like watching them wave live a field of neon green wheat......