gsp

fish3

my gsp (green star polyps) seem to go in cycles because it's polyps will look black and then go away for a day and come out fine but the polyps seem to be reducing

nycbob

make sure the waterparameters r good. gsp likes lots of flow and light. also, use a turkey baston to blow off debris ocassionally.

fish3

parameters are good and set up a air pump by it so flow should increase but soon i will get a powerhead

alix2.0

can you post your exact parameters? by air pump do you mean like a bubble stone? those usually arent used in saltwater aquariums, not really sure why, i thinks it messes with the ph. what kind of lighting do you have / how many watts?

natclanwy

Airstones shouldn't effect ph much but usually you don't use airstones because salt creep is horrible because of the airbubbles popping at the surface.

peef

Airstones are a bad idea because they trap microscum and O2 and put it to the surface. It actually removes O2 in the long run and can lead to lower PH and health problems. I would remove it,

fish3

ok i already did and i'm adding three power heads 170 peguin a 200 mako off brand
and 95 top fin

fish3

my specfic gravity is 1.024 amnioa is about .1 ph 8.1 nirate is 0 nitrite 0 calcium is 420
lights 219watt t5's

rcoultas

how long has this tank been set up? you should have 0 ammonia unless you are still cycling or something has recently died in it.

S

swalchemist

GSP require High light and moderate water flow in general insure you are at 20X the tank volume per hour on flow.

fishissues

hehehe i had the same issue i had not enough flow and i have this different polyps in the middle for my gsp there kind of a white polyp

fish3

i put a powerhead on the gsp yesterday and it looks better also the amonia is from some new live rock