Guess I should mind my own business!

mrdc

I was at my LFS store yesterday and someone was buying a Naso Tang anf green clown goby. He also asked if the Naso would get along with his shark fish. The LFS guy said it should if there is adequate room. The person then said they had a 20g and would be getting a bigger one soon. I spoke up saying they should wait because the tank is way too small. He said he knew what he was doing but I said apparently not since he is putting a Naso is a 20 gallon. Well he said I should mind my own business and since I am not a confrontational person, I let it end at that.

puffer32

Oh no :scared: I would love to be there when he comes back in afew weeks and demands his money back

sac10918

Mrdc
I think it was good of you to say something. I hate going to LFS store and seeing some one buy fish that you can just tell they don't know anything about and will just die in a few weeks. It makes me really sorry for the fish and angry at the person as well as the LFS...

saltwater8

Originally Posted by mrdc
I was at my LFS store yesterday and someone was buying a Naso Tang anf green clown goby. He also asked if the Naso would get along with his shark fish. The LFS guy said it should if there is adequate room. The person then said they had a 20g and would be getting a bigger one soon. I spoke up saying they should wait because the tank is way too small. He said he knew what he was doing but I said apparently not since he is putting a Naso is a 20 gallon. Well he said I should mind my own business and since I am not a confrontational person, I let it end at that.
GOOD FOR YOU!

Not only would I have ragged out the person buying the fish, I would have ragged out the salesperson who said it would be ok!

:happyfish

mrdc

I would have felt bad if I hadn't said something. Hopefully he was honest when stating that he would be getting a bigger tank soon and I hope real soon.

tankslave

Definitely say something! If the salesman doesn't know what he's talking about he shouldn't be giving advice and if he's lying.....he's lying. You may save someone lots of $$$$ and heartache

rara12

Hey guys, if you think thats bad listen to my sad story.
Today this guy came in and demanded a refund for two clows (One which was my favorite fish at the store) and two cleaner shrimp. He said he bought them two days ago and his puffer ate them all. I told the guy, "Sir. you really should research fish before buying them. A puffer will always eat shrimp and small fish are not good tankmates for them." After he grunted he pointed at out niger trigger and said "what bout him he good for a puff???" So i told him it was a good tank mate and gladly bagged it up for him. He then had me bag up a large pbt tank(atlease 7") for him. When i asked how big his tank was he told me a 55 tall. So i told him that was not a good tank for the pbt and he then told me "HE be iight in dare, i feed him fine" So i told him "a fish that size should have a tank of atleast 100+ gallons and a minimum of 6ft of swimming room" after another set of grunts he retorted "He be fine, i aint got much rock yet." As i was telling the guy over and over again that his tank wasnt big enough my boss came over and finished the conversation.....Im angry at him

wilsonreef

Unfortunately, I too can't seem to keep my big mouth shut. I've done the same thing. But it's funny how some people like us just hate to see things done wrong and no one step up to bat and tell them. The LFS worker should have told him, but then that's another story. On another note Hey puffer, I see you live in Euless Texas. Small world I went to school in Hurst. Sorry, I just had to say that.....
Carl

sharkbait9

IMO when ever we hear something wrong being said we should feel like its not our place to say something/ Every bit of truth helps in the long run

dual45s

If I was in the market for my first SW tank and someone had some solid advice I'd welcome it, especially if I hadn't done any research on my own. So I'd say keep it up and don't feel like you're doing anything negative.

saltwater8

Well, my guess from reading the post is that the guy knows its wrong but doesn't care because he wants the fish - which I am sure happens a lot.

sharkbait9

Originally Posted by Saltwater8
Well, my guess from reading the post is that the guy knows its wrong but doesn't care because he wants the fish - which I am sure happens a lot.
more then we all would like to think. I was told by a person that the sales guy knew what he was saying and doing, even thou the sales guy was telling a person that to cycle a tank use damsels and let them do the work. How old school is that? Its a practice still told and use today. :scared:

nyaux

I Went To Lfs The Other Day To Get A Yellow Tang.. They Had 3 In A 20 Gallon .. I Ask The Guy For One An He Told Me He Couldn't Sell Me Just One Because The Other Two Would Fight If They Were Even # Of Them.. I Looked At Him An Thought To Myself..it's The Other Way Around.. You Can't Have More Than One Tang In That Small Of A Tank.. So I Said Than No Thanks I'll Go Somewher Else .. He Stopped Me An Said " I'll Get You One An Just Move The Other To Another Tank" Like He Was Doing Me A Favor..lol

murph145

yeah i always hear poor advise given at the LFS i myself was a vicitim of all of this when i was a newbie....
i had the LFS tell me this was ok.... " at the time i had my 100G tank with 2 20W NO flourescent bulbs but if i added another 15W Actinic NO bulb i could keep anemones" can u imagine that all i would need was 55W over my 100 and guess what i fell for it too!!!!
i will speak up if i hear anything thats really bad
just yesterday i was at one of the LFS's and they had about 100 1/2" baby blue hippo tangs in a 10G nano! i mean yeah it looked crazy but i bet that 90% of those fish will die they were so small and too young to be sold like that

natep206

my lfs gives out great info. though they dont ask questions. so if someone went in and said i want that green moray (which they sell :mad: ) and they had a 10 gal they wouldnt ask. but if they went in and said will that green moray do good in a 10 gal. the guy i know at the lfs would laugh in there face.
nate

puffer32

Originally Posted by wilsonreef
Unfortunately, I too can't seem to keep my big mouth shut. I've done the same thing. But it's funny how some people like us just hate to see things done wrong and no one step up to bat and tell them. The LFS worker should have told him, but then that's another story. On another note Hey puffer, I see you live in Euless Texas. Small world I went to school in Hurst. Sorry, I just had to say that.....
Carl
We just moved to tx, in march from pa. We looked at afew houses in hurst before we bought in euless, nice town, just wish there were more lfs in the area, since dallas north had a fire.