Guest's reaction to your tank?

connor

Originally Posted by nflnutswif
Just prepare yourself for the massive finger prints. . .

OMG my little sister (7) and little bro(10) all there friends come over there are nose prints on the glass so many finger prints and who the hell knows what all over the glass i now put all the dining room chairs all around it and tell them if you want to see all the fish you got to sit real still and not yell and dont touch the glass and it works really well now but before i freaked every time they weere in the house.
i have a 90 gallon
all my family loves the tank my aunts and uncles always say hey lets go to the fishstore and ill get you something for it. my little cousin always loves to go and pick out a fish and name it what he wants. i love everyones reactions too. i just make sure i clean the tank and then i dont have to worry about hjow my room looks beacouse everyone flocks around the tank the whole time.

mimzy

Most of my friends think it's cool... but my mother comes over, looks at it and starts pointing at my hermit crabs and brittle star yelling "EEWW!!! Those crabs remind me of cockroackes! And there's a HUGE writhing spider in here!! This is disgusting! Why do you have this in the kitchen? I'll NEVER be able to eat in here with all these BUGS!"
Oh well. Gotta love Mom

michelle l

I never really get anything besides passive interest. We used to have the 125 in a spare bedroom, and I think the most we got out of guests was, "Huh, that's a big tank" because I think we only had about 4 or 5 guests who actually saw it.
Then we have family members who don't care about the tank, only how much it cost to get up and running. We are currently setting up a 220 reef, and we have family tisk-tisk-ing us because of the cost. My husband is a student so money can sometimes be tight, but right now we're doing fine financially so I thought it was a good a time as any to take the plunge with a large tank that we picked up used. I figure that I am 36 years old, and we are old enough to know how to manage finances without feedback from family. I get annoyed at the people who want to take a dump all over something that brings you joy!
The new tank will be in the living room, so I imagine that there will be many more people seeing it, and therefore a lot more positive comments in the future.

seannmelly

Our friends that have seen our 125 reef tank are like, "that's huge(referring to the tank when in reality we'll never have a "big enough" tank), or what's this, what's that, oh my god look at that, that's fresh, oh wow" lol. It's actually kind of funny to hear their reaction to our tank!! They either say that it's really hard to take care of(which is not true) or it makes them want to get their own saltwater tank even more!! Oh yea, and the pictures posted on here does our tank NO justice whatsoever!!

bronco300

Originally Posted by Michelle L
I never really get anything besides passive interest. We used to have the 125 in a spare bedroom, and I think the most we got out of guests was, "Huh, that's a big tank" because I think we only had about 4 or 5 guests who actually saw it.
Then we have family members who don't care about the tank, only how much it cost to get up and running. We are currently setting up a 220 reef, and we have family tisk-tisk-ing us because of the cost. My husband is a student so money can sometimes be tight, but right now we're doing fine financially so I thought it was a good a time as any to take the plunge with a large tank that we picked up used. I figure that I am 36 years old, and we are old enough to know how to manage finances without feedback from family. I get annoyed at the people who want to take a dump all over something that brings you joy!
The new tank will be in the living room, so I imagine that there will be many more people seeing it, and therefore a lot more positive comments in the future.

exactly, GO FOR IT!!! I'd be more than happy to visit and give plenty of positive comments...and even take a souvenir home!
***)

yimmy

This is what happened. My friend came over and said why the heck would you spend 2grand on a fish tank. He also went on and on and on about how pointless and boring it is. They stayed the night and I woke up at 3 in the morning and they were so interested in the tank. Next day they came over with some friends to show them how cool it is.

michelle l

Originally Posted by Yimmy
This is what happened. My friend came over and said why the heck would you spend 2grand on a fish tank. He also went on and on and on about how pointless and boring it is. They stayed the night and I woke up at 3 in the morning and they were so interested in the tank. Next day they came over with some friends to show them how cool it is.
Too funny. It seems that the people who "get it" the least are the ones who, later on, are the ones asking the most questions about the critters. :)

petieaztec

yeah my room is an extended living room sometimes. i like the attention though. they get scared when the corals move though. and the kids like to use the algea scrapper
but sometimes guests steal my test kits for what i don't know.

misfit

My 210 is right as you walk in the door and everyone going in and on the way out stand and stare for a few minutes before leaving or entering the house .Always say "WOW".Even answering the door for the UPS guy or delievry person, is always a conversation starter.I once had a guy delievering furniture ,who had just started his own tank 30 gal.He walked in and said"WOW thats ALOT of money you got in there".True but no one usually blurts it out like that