Guitar Players --> Amp Suggestions Please

indyws6

Greetings...
I haven't played guitar routinely in several years but my interest is coming back and I am trying to re-gear. I have been researching amplifiers and wonder if any of the guitar players on this forum have recommendations. For comparison, here is what I currently use:
Main Rig
========
Peavey Classic 60 rackmount Tube Amp
Digitech GSP-21 Pro (upgraded to Legend) Digital Effects Processor
Midiverb III Digital Effects Processor
Carvin 412 Bottom Cabinet (with Peavey Scorpion speakers)
I can get a variety of sounds out of this setup, and it sounds decent, but I can always tell that the front end is solid state. After a lot of research, the amps below are the ones I am considering, although I am open to suggestions. Keep in mind that these amps represent the top end of the spend spectrum for me, so more expensive "boutique" amps are not financially realistic. Truth is, I play to an audience of one in a spare bedroom, so convincing myself to spend this much cash on an amp is an exercise in extreme justification

Hughes and Kettner - Triamp MK II
** Without question, this is the amp I would buy - if I hit the lottery...
Hughes and Kettner - Trilogy (First Choice)
http://www.hughes-and-kettner.com/pr...ode=prod&id=96
Hughes and Kettner - Switchblade (Second Choice)
http://www.hughes-and-kettner.com/pr...de=prod&id=109
Peavey - JSX (Third Choice)
http://www.peavey.com/products/jsx/index.cfm
Concern: Sounds thin and brittle (to me) for open chords on the clean channel
Line 6 (Bogner) Spider Valve HD100
http://line6.com/spidervalve/
Concern: Seems to be geared too much toward thrash and metal (e.g. not very versatile...)
Thanks for the help...

pontius

I would not buy the Peavey or the Line 6. there are better choices than both, even though the JSX is one of the upper tier Peaveys.

shogun323

What style do you play? I would ditch the Line 6 as an option as well.
You really can't beat the warmth of an old tube amp.

indyws6

Greetings...
PONTIUS
The JSX sounds good for a lot of things, but I am just not thrilled with the clean channel. Could be me, but I've heard others with the same comments. The Line 6 was something I stumbled upon but I am all but certain it's not the right amp for me. Open to comments from those using it, though...
SHOGUN323
I mostly like 80's rock (Tesla, Scorpions, Rush, Journey, etc.) but like something from just about every genre. If it helps, my CD player in the car has Spin Doctors, Queen, Creed, Ozzy (circa Randy), Nickelback and Dio in it right now (how's that for a diverse selection
)
Thanks for the input - please keep it coming

indyws6

I haven't played through any of the latest Mesa models, but was familiar with them "back in the day". I plan to make a trek to some music stores so I'll see if they have any to test.
Anyone familiar with the Hughes and Kettner amps and have comments?
Take Care...

cowfishrule

go with a combo amp.
years of lugging around big heavy gear taught me one thing...
any room that you'd play in that is too big for a combo amp to fill has its own pa and you will be micd anyways.

indyws6

CFR
True enough, but I already have the 412 and a small rack of effects. A combo version of the amps I'm interested in are more than the head only because of the included cabinet and speakers. I have a small Peavey Vypyr combo amp that I can throw in the car if I need to play out.
P.S. You're not helping with my effort to justify the purchase of a Hughes and Kettner Trilogy

cowfishrule

hell, there are places that i go to i dont even bring my amp.
just my bass and my di box.
i've played shows where i dont even hear myself. i just know that im locked in.
lazyness ? hell yeah.

indyws6

CFR
For me, this is about buying something to get the sound I really want. I rarely play out and, if I had a need, I could use the combo amp. If it was an extended deal, I could leave the big rig there and use the combo at home. I'll never be a gigging musician.
I'm looking at outfitting a small recording setup at home, so I'm looking for a killer sounding setup.
Understood on the direct in approach

shogun323

This is a bit outside the box, but since it is for recording it is applicable. Native Instruments make a product called Guitar Rig 3. It is uber versatile for tones and you can record it directly into Protools.
I don't like it for live application but it's great for recording.

indyws6

SHOGUN323
I appreciate the information. I'm looking at recording tools as well, but also want to have a "traditional" amplifier setup. The Hughes and Kettner amps have direct out capability onboard...
If you're interested and have time, take a look at the Hughes and Kettner website. They have demo sounds recorded from the Trilogy and Switchblade amps. Very, very nice..

fatcat

I use to have a Roland JC-120 chorus,With the right pedel setup it'll play anything from sabbath to floyd to muddy waters.
I loved that amp.

indyws6

FATCAT
Greetings...
If I was looking at combo amps, the JC120 would be near the top of the list. I have always liked the sound and versatility. I'm pretty much set on getting an all-tube head - just don't know which one.
Thanks...

yearofthenick

Man I don't know how I haven't found this thread sooner. I've been playing guitar for over 10 years and I've had all kinds of gear in that time. One of my favorite amps was the Fender Hot Rod Deville 4x10... 60 watts of pure tube power... but the problem was that it was LOUD... even at 2 (and yes it went to 11 haha). But it had killer tones.. even the cleans were nice and meaty.
After that, I went with a vox rig. I had the Vox ADV120VT.. that amp was really neat because it had on-board effects and you could dial in just about any sound. It has a tube-preamp, which is how you can get some good tones without having to crank the volume. I'm not kidding, I could have whatever clean I wanted, and whatever level of distortion I wanted. There was this one setting (I think blues rock) that made it sound incredible when it was OD'd... Not muddy at all. There's really something to be said about a rig that can OD and still lets you hear each string. Really solid.
Even today, I still miss the vox. it was a solid amp and when I had it, I really only needed that and my LP (Which I also sold).
They also have the AD60VT which is half the power and a single 12" speaker instead of two. I think it's half the price too. I'm talking about the ones with the cloth speaker covers... not the ones with the metal covers... those are the valvetronix ones and they have odd-numbered rigs (AD-30, AD50, you get the idea)
Now I just have a Taylor 814-C with L.R. Baggs iMix in it which i play pretty regularly. Had to liquidate all the gear when I lost my job.
But you're right, if money was not an option, I would totally go with a Hughes and Kettner. Man those amps create sound like beautiful singing mermaids calling you to the depths. I love how they intergrate lighting into their amps as well... they're really nice.

indyws6

YEAROFTHENICK
Thanks for the response. Sounds like you've had some nice equipment. I'm like you, probably like a lot of people; looking back, you wonder why you didn't keep some of the equipment you sold or traded. My biggest regret (especially after following vintage guitar prices over the last several years), was trading in my first guitar - a 1965 Gibson SG JR - for something more "cool". Man what an idiot I was...
I have also tried to find a Peavey Roadmaster head, but the onely ones I see are beat to heck. I had one back in the day and it was solid and sounded good. 160 watts and more tubes than a 1950's Zenith...
I'll take a look at the Vox stuff and see how it compares. Thanks for the suggestions...
CFR,
Thanks - I'll also take a look at the Tech21 gear to see what they offer.
Anyone else?