Guitar Players --> Amp Suggestions Please

indyws6

Cash is definitely a consideration. The Hughes and Kettner amps I'm interested in are $1,700 - $1,800, which is pretty much my limit. If I could justify it, I'd get the H&K Triamp MK II, but it's $3,500

indyws6

Looks like Tech21 sells only one guitar head (but several combo amps...) and it is solid-state, out of stock and production has been temporarily suspended...

cowfishrule

Originally Posted by indyws6
http:///forum/post/2837698
Looks like Tech21 sells only one guitar head (but several combo amps...) and it is solid-state, out of stock and production has been temporarily suspended...
doh.
i saw that
sucks
i hope they keep making them.
i'd love to get my hands on one of their rigs.

pontius

I may have missed it, but did you post what style(s) of music you want to play? and what exactly is your price range?
a TRUE Bogner is an elite amp. but those Line 6 are NOT true Bogners. I would not buy ANY "modeling" amp. they can say what they want, but NONE of them sound like a true tube amp.
you mentioned that you want a good clean sound. if that's the case, you can never go wrong with a Fender. Fender is pretty much known to have the best cleans and reverb and some of the lowest priced tube amps. I have a Fender Blues Deluxe (40 watts) that I like. there's also the Hot Rod which is similar. and a one channel version called the Blues Junior or something like that. all of these amps are under $700. if you need bigger, you can get a Deville or a Bassman for $1000-$1300.
I've also heard very good things on Traynor, but I've never played one. they are similarly priced to Fender, and are known for some of the same characteristics (good cleans and reverbs).
then, there's the Vox, which are also great. but remember, the TUBE Vox, NOT the "modeling" Vox. an all Tube Vox is probably going to be more expensive than Fender or Traynor.
you can scarcely go wrong with a Marshall or Mesa, but you're looking at a chunk of change when you start looking at those brands.
bang for the buck, you can't go wrong with a Fender imo. Fender is great for classic rock, blues, jazz, or grunge. it's been said that you can't do metal with a Fender, but I disagree. you'll have to get a Metal Muff (about $100) or a Radial Tonebone (about $225), but it can be done. of course, if you play only thrash metal, you'd be better off with something like a Mesa or Marshall than trying to play a Fender with a metal pedal, because that would naturally sound better. I'm just saying.....if you're just a bedroom/garage player, you CAN do metal with a Fender if you have the right pedal.

salty blues

Originally Posted by indyws6
http:///forum/post/2837508
C'mon - there must be some guitar players here that have comments and suggestions on amps...

As has been mentioned, a certain amount of choosing an amp depends on the type of music you want to play. Personally, I dig blues, older rock & country. IMO the absolute best amp for those styles is a Fender Deluxe Reverb.
These amps are perfect "club" amps and they are easy on the back. If you play out much, lugging big heavy cabinets to the gig gets old real quick.
I was lucky enough to find an original '65 DR a few years ago at a sinfully affordable price. The prices on original blackface DR's are approaching $3k now, but you can find silverfaces somewhat cheaper or you could always pick up a re-issue model for less than a grand.
DR's have the classic Fender clean sound and they take dirt pedals very well.
Of all the music gear I own, my DR is the only piece I will never part with.

indyws6

Greetings All - Thanks for the posts. Where to start...
Style of music - I like several styles and appreciate most. I grew up listening to Sabbath, T-Rex, Deep Purple, Zeppelin, SRV, etc. but really started having an interest in playing music and emulating the 80's rock bands. I mostly play stuff like Tesla, Scorpions, Ozzy, Van Halen, Rush, Extreme and that genre of music, but I also like the sound of bands like Matchbox Twenty, Spin Doctors, Delbert McClinton, Bonnie Raitt, Storybook, etc. I'm all over the map. Select Metallica songs are about as heavy as I care to (occasionally) listen to or play and I have no interest in thrash or speed. So, Classic Rock, 80's Rock, Southern Rock, Blues, an occasional foray into Jazz...
I have never been a fan of Fender equipment - amps or guitars ["If you don't play Gibson and Marshall, you're a wanker"
- just kidding, not trying to start anything...]. To be fair, I have never owned any and I need to plug in and take a critical listen to their amps. Thanks for the suggestion. I am planning a trek to some music stores and will look for some good Fender equipment for comparison.
I'll never be a gigging musician, so portability is not a big concern. If I have a need to play out, I can either use my current rig (a rack setup - see original post) with a "house" cabinet or direct in. I could easily do the same with whatever amp head I choose and I have a Peavey Vypyr practice amp to fill-in the gaps. Long story short, the portability of the setup is not a determining factor - I can make it work for the rare times that playing out is required.
The Peavey Vypyr I just got is a modeling amp - which is fine for the small practice amp that it is. It eliminates the need to lug effects processors or stomp boxes if I just want to go somewhere and noodle around for a bit. But, I really don't want that on my main rig - I like to keep the amp and major effect processors separate. Especially as I think ahead to a small home recording studio.
I know you can't have everything, but here is my shopping list. Any suggestions toward this would be much appreciated as would any comments about the setup you use.
* ~100 watt all-tube head
* 2-channel amp (minimum)
* Effects loop
* $2,000 max (preferably $1,800 or less, but for the right sound...)
* No all-out on-board modeling. Normal effects (reverb, chorus, etc.) are OK
* "Glassy" clean sounds that don't distort at high gain levels unless you want them to
* Lead and crunch channels that have a "Soldano" style tube distorion
* Ideally, an amp that I can get crystal clean and searing crunch with clarity. Something that only requires the effects gear to be switched in for unique sounds
I have yet to find anything that sounds as good as the Hughes and Kettner amps I listed. But, there are so many choices I wanted to get input before spending that kind of money. Thanks for the suggestions...

pontius

if you like the H & K, that's what you should get. I know Fender cleans can't be beat if that's what you're looking for. and for that price range, you could get an almost new Marshall JCM800, which is generally considered to be one of the greatest amps ever made. but if you've played the H&K and you can't find anything better, that is definitely what you should get. internet opinions are just that.

johnbob

I don't want to take the thread off track but, could any of you guys recommend some good beginner guitars?

yearofthenick

Originally Posted by Johnbob
http:///forum/post/2839556
I don't want to take the thread off track but, could any of you guys recommend some good beginner guitars?
Any epiphone electric is a good starter... and they're cheap. Personally I like the hollowbody series of epiphone. (By the way, Epiphone is owned by Gibson)
Or you could go with a Squier Strat, or a Mexican-made strat... the most expensive ones are the american-made strats.

shogun323

Personally I hate Epiphones. I think the best bang for the buck is a Mexican made strat. You can get a used one off the auction site for fairly cheap. I would go to your local music store and see what feels and sounds best to you!!!! Good Luck!!!

yearofthenick

Mexi strats dont have as beefy a distortion though... if you want something a little more full-sounding, I'd go with something that has humbuckers in it.

pontius

Originally Posted by COWFISHRULE
http:///forum/post/2839012
800 ? i thought it was the jcm900
the 900 is highly regarded, as is the 2000. but the 800 is considered one of those "holy grail" amps. it's the amp that was used by most of the pioneering thrash metal guys of the early 80s as well as some of the grunge guys from the 90s.

pontius

Originally Posted by YearOfTheNick
http:///forum/post/2839666
Mexi strats dont have as beefy a distortion though... if you want something a little more full-sounding, I'd go with something that has humbuckers in it.
I would take a Mexican Fender Strat over an Epiphone any day of the week. though, don't confuse "Mexi Strat" with "Squier", because I'd just as soon have a Walmart guitar as a Squier. and you can get a Fender with humbuckers that will have plenty of bite.
but by "beginner" guitar, you still need to plan on one in the $400-$500 range. that is a beginner guitar price. if you get one of those $200 guitars or starter packs, it's most likely going to be made out of glorified particle board with bad electronics and hardware that won't intonate or stay in tune.

yearofthenick

Originally Posted by Pontius
http:///forum/post/2839674
I would take a Mexican Fender Strat over an Epiphone any day of the week. though, don't confuse "Mexi Strat" with "Squier", because I'd just as soon have a Walmart guitar as a Squier. and you can get a Fender with humbuckers that will have plenty of bite.
but by "beginner" guitar, you still need to plan on one in the $400-$500 range. that is a beginner guitar price. if you get one of those $200 guitars or starter packs, it's most likely going to be made out of glorified particle board with bad electronics and hardware that won't intonate or stay in tune.
You know, I tused to totally agree with you. I would rather make my own guitar out of wire and particle board before I'd ever touch an epiphone. I would definitely say that their acoustics are the biggest joke.
But you can get a nice Epiphone Sheraton II for pretty cheap, and it's got OK quality woods. It was still made in Korea, but that doesn't change the fact that they made them well. I had one for a few weeks and returned it for a real Gibson, but I was surprised with how well it sounded and felt to play.
As for a mexi strat, sure you could get a fat strat or a double fatty, but strats in general are more for country western, blues, classic rock. Of many of the bands I listen to, none of them play strats. It's usually either a les paul or a 335... you even see an explorer now and then.
That's why I'd go with an Epi Les Paul... NO strat can beat the shear thickness in body.
But I would agree that Epi's less often hold their tune, though they're not exactly tuning nightmares. A squier is a total nightmare altogether. I think everyone I know who had a squier have said it's a part of their life they'd like to forget. Squiers make good paperweights, and good guitars to smash, but that's about it.
I've had all kinds of strats... I had a mexi. I even had an American Deluxe with the S1 switching. I even made a few, one of which was a double fat. I made a sunburst one with maple neck (see last pic). But one in particular was very hard to sell... it had noiseless pickups in it that really sang, and i found a swamp ash body that came off of limited production Pro-Tone series strats back in the mid 90's... it had blues and greens I've never seen in ANY strat body before (See first 3 pics). But it still lacked the depth and bass you really need to get a good solid OD in my opinion.
Long story short, I'm just done with strats. I like the more full-bodied sound that comes out of a humbucker... even if it's a lower-end one.
If I had $500 to spend, I'd get an upper-end epiphone dot (hollowbody) and change out the tuners... maybe put some burstbucker pro's in it.

pontius

I have a USA made Fender Strat and a 1993 Gibson Les Paul Standard. the Gibson IS better in every single way (except the weight, which can be tough on the back).
but I wouldn't put any stock on Epiphone being owned by Gibson. the Les Pauls and SGs were being copied by so many different rip-off companies that Gibson used Epiphone to make it's own "official" copy. Epiphone Les Pauls are really nothing more than a Les Paul copy that happens to be owned by Gibson. I've read some reviews of Epiphones that say they really are nothing more than particle board. they say they are mohogany. and yes, they have mohogany.....mixed in with any and everything else that can be classified as wood.
as for the Epiphone Sheraton, it's similar to a 335, but isn't that a guitar that is specific only to Epiphone? so there really isn't a Gibson to compare it to (unless you compare it to a 335).
now, Epiphone DO make the "Elitist" guitars that I've heard are very very close to Gibson quality. but I wouldn't consider them "beginner" prices because an Elitist Les Paul will still cost over $1000.
honestly, if my price range was less than $500, I wouldn't look at Fender or Epiphone....I'd look at Jackson or Ibanez (though Jackson would be my first choice).

johnbob

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I think I'm going to go to guitar center and try out some of the guitars they have there. What else would I need besides a guitar and amp?

yearofthenick

Tuner, picks, instrument cable to get the sound from your guitar to your amp, a strap. A spare set of strings would be a good idea too because you'll find that electric strings break easily, especially for newbies.
A tuner is a must. They sell cheap KORG tuners that work pretty well for the price... $15.99(?)