H.e.l.p

fish pimp

Hey peps hows it going just wondering if you guys can give me some help anyways heres the problem my 90gallon fowlr tank has been running for the last 3 yrs flawlessly until about 1 month ago when i switched salts from red sea salt to oceanic salt but the problem is as soon as i switched i started gettin diatoms back in my tank also red slime cyno bacteria over my rocks powerheads and stuff i looseing my mind on how to get rid of this stuff maybe i can cut my lite cycle there on for a bout 12 hours a day please a suggestion greatly appreciated oh before i for get ammonia 0, nitrate 0, nitrite 0, ph 8.2

B

bckpckr

I'm pretty new to this, but maybe some more critters that eat the stuff will help, as long as you dont overload.
If it's really bad, take your fish and live rock out, clean your rock and hypo your tank, or whatever its called. (Drastically lower your sp.gravity)

pallan

Originally Posted by bckpckr
I'm pretty new to this, but maybe some more critters that eat the stuff will help, as long as you dont overload.
If it's really bad, take your fish and live rock out, clean your rock and hypo your tank, or whatever its called. (Drastically lower your sp.gravity)
dont think i would hypo a tank to get rid of algae. Actually think the dieoff caused by this (critters in sand, disruption of sand) would push more stuff in the water colum to feed more algae.
Ive never switched salt but i quess it would be possible for your tank to now be getting some nutrients that it may have been missing in the other salt. might just take some time for your tank to reestablish itself. in mean time research the red cyno for cures cut back lighting and watch your feeding.
also test for phosphates in tank, source water and mixed salt water to see if water changes are adding them to your system.
Good luck

fish pimp

just to let everyone know i beat my red slime problem and all i had to do was just cut back on my lighting i went from 12 hrs a day to 7 hrs and the stuff started dying off almost imediately first one of my pieces of live rock was covererd with the stuff now it looks like it never existed that stuff dies off pretty quik.