Hair Alage

ekru

NEED SOME ADVICE ON HOW TO GET RID OF THIS ALAGE. ADDED SOME IRON FOR CORAL & NOW HAVE THIS ALAGE ALL OVER THE PLACE THE TANGS DON'T SEEM INTERESTED ALSO IS FILAMENT ALAGE THE SAME AS HAIR ALAGE. I"M NOT SURE WHAT IT IS. IT IS ESPECIALLY UNSIGHTLY ON THE CORAL. CAN'T SEE SOME FOR THE ALAGE :help:

smoney

Well, for starters you could turn off your CAPS. I had hair algae, because I overfed my fish in the beginning. A good thing to do is find why you have hair algae. Sometimes, it is because of high nitrates or nitrites? one of those two, or sometimes because you overfed.
Ok, now what I did to fix the problem was a few things. First, I only put my lights on for like 3-4 hours a day, that helps eliminate the hair algae. Then weekly I scrubbed the rock with a clean brand new toothbrush. My tank was fine after a month, then I started to put my lights on longer and everything was back to normal.
Im not sure, but I think lawnmower blennies will take care of the hair algae. The sea hare is another thing that will eat all the algaae in your tank with in like 3 days, but then you need to start feeding it algae sheets so it doesnt starve.
Hope I helped.

LMB dont help check water quality and check for Nitrates and phosphates use good test kits like Salifert,good water changes with good ro/di water.

ekru

Hey Guys Thnks For The Suggestion. It Really Is Appreciated. I Have Checked For Nitrates & Nitrites & They Are Fine. This All Started Right After I Started Adding Additives. Bought Some Coral & It Was Recommended That You Supplement With Iron & Some Trace Minerals. Followed Recommended Dosages. Started Dozing About 1 Week After Water Changes (once A Month). Within 3 Weeks. The Alage Was In Full Bloom
In Regard To The Coral - Do You Also Use The Soft Toothbrush On It & What Is A Sea Hare? Fish, Snail.
I Feed The Fish Once Day. Have Received Conflicting Advice On This Issue. Some People Tell Me Every Three Days - Others Twice A Day. Have Had This Tank Only A Year Now & Have Learned Some Hard Lessons. Still Trying To Get It Right. The Fish Seems To Be Finally Be Doing Well. Lost Some At First. Now If I Could Only Get Coral To Stay The Same Color As When Purchased.
Thank Again For The Advice

smoney

Well, a sea hare is a slug. It seriously mows every piece of hair algae in your tank. Look it up on google.
I have quite a few fish in my tank so I feed my fish once a day. Lately though, I have been feeding them everyother day because I forget to feed them. Daily should be fine.

Dont dose anything you cant test for ,good water changes with good salt add all the trace elements you need all you need to supply is great light and water changes and calcium and alkalinity additives to keep DKH up.