hair algae control?

Ive been away from my tank for two days and Ive got the worst outbreak of green hair algae ive ever seen. My live rock and my sides are covered with it. My readings as of a week ago were all zero and my trates were <10. calcium and iodine are where they need to be also. I do not have a phosphate test kit. The tank has a penguin 330 biowheel filter and a prism protein skimmer. Lights,2x65w pcs 10000K, are on for about 12 hours. I do have a small amount of halimeda growing on my live rock.
From what ive searched its just a bad sight problem and at the most a phosphate problem. I currently have :
5 mexican turbo snails
10 scarlet reef hermits
1 bahama starfish
2 emerald crabs
1 damsel
1 peppermint shrimp
I am thinking about adding 5 more turbo snails and five more scarlet reef hermits. I also think Im gonna get a lawnmower blenny and let him try his shot at it.
The tank is a 55 gal, my question is this: Is this too many snails and crabs or should I get more?
Also if there are any other ideas Id appreciate them. Thanks!!

ocellaris_keeper

This is totally normal - it just looks bad.
Go with about 30 snails and 30 or so hermits, and take your fish net and scrape the hair algae off the rock/glass/substrate and capture as much with the net. This will hasten it's departure.

I use RO water for topoff and changes. Is there anyway to get the LR cleaned off? I had some coralline that was really starting to flourish before this happened.
It just surprised me that it overgrew the tank that fast. I had cleaned one of the sides and the front glass the week before and none of the green hair algae seemed to have overcame those two sections of the tank.

irishstout

I had the same problem in my 55 and it was a phosphate problem. Are you using tap water to top off? If so, dont. I was lucky enough to have a friend with a blue tang to lend, withing 24hrs the algae was gone and the phospate removers have done their job.

m1rodrig

There shouldn't be but I would still test it for phosphates just to be on the safe side.I have heard horror stories about some bottled water having ammonia and other contaminants.

jond

I would also recomend testing your phosphates. There are other sources other than water that can add phosphates to your tank. How old are your bulbs? That could be a source of your problem as well.
Good luck

My bulbs are no longer than a month old. I hope Im not gonna have to change them already!
I believe Im gonna get me a Phosphate test kit and go from there. If that is the case, what is the best way to get rid of them?
Thanks!

m1rodrig

Pc's should last you about a year.If your phosphates are high you can add a polyfilter to help remove your phosphates,Or some other kind of phosphate filter.I would also test the water you are buying.I really don't know what else could be causing it.If there are any other things that could be causing your algal growth I am sure you will get a response.

I just purchased another U-Build it crew last night. I got 7 more turbo snails and 11 more scarlet reef hermits plus 1 emerald crab. I think Im gonna try to cut my lights down to about 7-8 hours a day for a while and see what happens. I guess Ill start tonight and try to clean what part I can off of my glass and let my crew work on the rocks. I dont really want to take all of my rock out and scrub it.

shanahjm

Had similar problem. Cut down the lights to slow down growth. You can siphon a good deal of the green hair algae off with a fine (1/4") hose (water line tubing). Turbo snails help.