Hair Algae How do i get rid of it??????

What do i do about hair algae I am getting tons of it i have a 110 gallon with two mh 250 watt and two Fl. bulbs. I have snails Yellow Tang and a Powder Blue Tang in the tang as well as hermit crabs. But i still am having this algae problem. I am wondering if i am letting my water get to hot it is about 78 - 80 degrees do you think that could be the reason? I m not sure if i am overfeeding which i dont think i am. Any help would be great. This is my first post hope i did it right. Thanks in advance

D

diatom

It's not the temp. It's the nutrients in the water and the light.
Ultimately you need some sort of nutrient export like macro algae that can be harvested.
Cutting down the photo period and adding a good algae eater like a tuxedo urchin will help out in the mean time.

Yes i am using ro water i think you might be right about turning my lights off sooner. I think i am leaving thme on about 12 hours or more a day Do you think the heat of the tank is ok or is it too hot

barracuda

You said that you've got snails. If you have TURBO snails it's good. But if you have only a few of them, so buy more. I had the same problem in my 110gal. The hair algae was growing every day, until i bought 10 big turbos. They "shaved" the LR within 2 days. Also i agree with the previous posts. Check the water paremeters: nitrates, phosphates. Also, is your membrane in the RO unit is still good? The membrane has limited usage. If the unit is old, so maybe you should replace the membrane with a new one.
Dima.

D

diatom

The temp is fine.
Do you have a refugium or a deep sand bed? Something to help eliminate the nutrients in your tank?
I'd cut the lights down to 8 hours less if you don't have any corals.

karlas

heres a pretty good site for alge
<a href="http://saltyzoo.com/hairalgae.html" target="_blank">ridding yourself of nusiance alge</a>