Hair algae- how to control

drewdog82

My tank has been up and running for apx. 5 days. I have 50 lbs. LS and 85 lbs. LR--already cured(from an established tank). My tank is a 55 with a 4x54W T-5 unit. I have noticed that I have an algae starting to spread over my LR. It is a string or hair like algae that I would assume is hair algae. It is a greenish-brown color and a small amount has spread to my sand bed. I wanted to know if this is a good or bad algae and also how to control it????

playa

lol shouldn't you just get a couple Mexican Turbo Snails and a sea Urchin? Those eat a lot of algae.

drewdog82

1. Are the turbo's good with hair algae??
2. Since my tank has only been up for 5 days, can I get a clean-up crew??
3. Is it ok to get a lawnmower blenny or is it to early??

drewdog82

I was under the impression that if u added cured rock from an established tank their was the chance of no or little die-off. In this case u could go away and add a clean-up crew almost immediatelly..... Is my info. correct, in whichh case I will get a clean-up crew immediatelly to control this hair algae, or am I misleaded????

playa

IT shouldn't hurt you to bad I think. Just get 3 turbo snails, a purple urchainj, and a hermit crab. That should cover it.

drewdog82

Originally Posted by bowser220
lawnmower blenny is the trick. it will eat it all up
Thanx, I would love to add one, but I thought they needed a more established tank???