Hair Algae - I`m fed up

steve24

Originally Posted by SpiderWoman
http:///forum/post/2680787
I'd try switching the bulbs to new ones and cut down on the full day light time. Is your tank facing a sunny window?
Testing with a TDS meter should read big fat ZERO.
How much LR do you have in your tank?
What do you feed your fish? If you feed a lot of flakes and pellets, they increase the phosphates in your water.
How much LR do you have in your tank?
What do you feed your fish? If you feed a lot of flakes and pellets, they increase the phosphates in your water.
the T5 bulbs are only like six-seven months old and i cut them back to like four and a half hours a day
nope, no sunny window
roughly 90 lbs of LR
feed "drained" mysis shrimp, marine cusine, formula one and cyclopeeze

nycbob

it has nothing to so with ur light or lr. it will take persistent effort on ur part to control it. no one says keeping a reeftank is easy. this is just one of the many challenges many hobbyists face. this is imo what separates the true reef hobbyists from the causal ones.

steve24

Originally Posted by nycbob
http:///forum/post/2680816
it has nothing to so with ur light or lr. it will take persistent effort on ur part to control it. no one says keeping a reeftank is easy. this is just one of the many challenges many hobbyists face. this is imo what separates the true reef hobbyists from the causal ones.
wow, LOL now its time to see if i`m a true reef hobbyists

ohh, and thanks EVEYONE

guess i`ll just keep pulling and syphoning at it... i love this hobby

ratrod

Here's the cure-all I posted originally way back.
If your algea problem is fixed by adding a lawnmower blenny or a seahair trust me, you may have some algea but you dont have a real problem
Here's my algea 101 rant
I'm gonna give you my advise on the nasty hair algae curse. Not everone will agree with me on all of what I have to say but I can asure you I've had a reef up for over ten years and I've been to hell and back with this stuff and I'll tell you what works, for sure, some of the time, part of the time, and non of the time. It is true that hair algae loves phosphates and silica, and ofcourse light, and eliminating or reducing these things will help curb it to a degree, but here's the thing a perfectly healthy reef with good water quality can grow hair algae, especially if your reef has ever had it before. Water changes are the quickest way to get your PO4 under control assuming your using RO/DI water or a water source that has no PO4 in it. Here's the hard part and the part that always makes me laugh when people pipe off and say it, that is, all you have to do is worry about water quality and get it right and the hair algae goes away. Thats a joke and not true! The hair algae that is in your tank stores enough nutrients WITHIN ITSELF to grow at an alarming rate with perfect water readings!!! Dont be fooled just because the test kits read zero! Its like a heart problem, once you have, you dont cure it, you manage it. So, here's my 2 cents on how to get rid of it including all the blatent obvious things that are repeated over and over again. Bigger and longer established tanks are harder to treat than smaller ones.
1) Do water changes ofcourse, but rig yourself up a rigid length of clear tubing to your siphon hose to control and vacuum up all the loose algae and reef dust. If your not using ro/di water you dont have a prayer!
2) To really get a head start take the rocks out of the tank and dip them into a bucket of salt water and scrub the holy livin hell out of em with a toothbrush.
3) Cutting your light time, and reducing your feedings are certainly helpful at least until you get it under control. Poeple say that older lights cause algae, its possible but changing them wont help much.
4) Get or make sure your skimmer is running properly! And replace your prefilter media constantly.
5) When selecting a clean-up crew, be careful not to over do it at first! Its great to have a snail for every gallon like some people say, and I dont totally disagree, but if you put a lot them in and some die off, you've now created more fuel for your algae.
6) Dump in some long spiny urchins, you cant kill hardly em, and they really mow! They can tip things over though.
7) The phos-ban products do help, but their expensive and with all the other factors they alone wont eliminate your algae only help manage it after you've gottin rid of a lot of it. I like the slower acting stuff for a long term preventative measure.
8) UV stearlization is good for some things, but worthless for hair algae.
The bottom line on all this is to get it under control you have to get a little drastic, or you wont get it under control. Then from that point on its prevention. Hope this helps.

mjweber

I had a macro alge problem a while back, apparently it was Kelp, who knew it grew in aquariums. Anyhow after tons of research and very helpful suggestions from this board, I found that a possible cure would be a Sea Hare. After a month of badgering the LFS for sea hares, they finally got one in. I introduced him or her to my tank on a Monday and pretty much by the end of the week all the macro Alge was gone. And that was Kelp, I hear that Sea Hares have a taste for Hair algea. Anyhow hope that helps.

M

florida joe

Originally Posted by nycbob
http:///forum/post/2680684
seahare is good, but i heard they will release poison if harrassed or died. other then that, they r great hair algae eaters. guess u just hv to monitor it and hv carbon ready.
hairy sea hare (Bursatella leachii pleii) is not toxic

pnkflydlvr

i had a huge problem with hair algae a couple of years ago. i got rid of it with many water changes and buying some hermit crabs and snails. that seemed to do the trick for me.

aztec reef

Originally Posted by ratrod
http:///forum/post/2681822
Here's the cure-all I posted originally way back.
It is true that hair algae loves phosphates and silica, and ofcourse light, and eliminating or reducing these things will help curb it to a degree, but here's the thing a perfectly healthy reef with good water quality can grow hair algae, especially if your reef has ever had it before. Water changes are the quickest way to get your PO4 under control assuming your using RO/DI water or a water source that has no PO4 in it. Here's the hard part and the part that always makes me laugh when people pipe off and say it, that is, all you have to do is worry about water quality and get it right and the hair algae goes away. Thats a joke and not true! The hair algae that is in your tank stores enough nutrients WITHIN ITSELF to grow at an alarming rate with perfect water readings!!! Dont be fooled just because the test kits read zero!

Wrong!!!

The cure for it is the same as prevention...this algea thrives on nitrates/phosphates and even nitrites and yes lights amplify it...this type of algea is a life stage that every tank must go through, it usually happends within the first 6months of tank life,however it could also bloom in mature tanks..via fish and critter foods,cheap carbon use,water source,salt mixes,supplements,additives and the list goes on.. if left unattended, it will take over and out-compete for nutrients against corals. smothering all stationary life forms.
green hairy algea indicates high levels of nitrates/phosphates or nitrites, if not a combination of all 3..This is where water quality importance comes in..
The reason why impurities are within the algea, is due to the fact that these impurities where present in the water column at a previous point...how else did it grow, if there wasn't impurities in water column for it to feed on, to begin with???
even if test kits read 0, if theres is algea, theres excess nutrients. or organic decay within(just like u said). and thats because the nitrates/nitrites/phosphates are been uptaken by the algea, however if the impurities are testable by kits this algea could go sexual, by then it will release this impurities into water column(making them testable in high amounts).
usually green algea blooms don't exibit the high amount of impurities cause this algea traps a lot of sediment(saturating itself with impurities) thus why the filaments stay within itself..
If water quality is kept optimal(even when u can't test impurities) the algea will starve and correct it self. untill the next nutrient overload comes through...
constant water changes+less food +kalkwasser use+few species of sea slugs(such as mexican lettuce slug)among others. will defenatly get rid of it and control it... your turn...

steve24

thanks again everyone

Originally Posted by rebelprettyboy
http:///forum/post/2682846
Random but as usual the brain coral is freakin awesome! Just thought Id let you know... thing has some super color in it!
LOL, thanks
that even won SWF photo contest last fall so now they use it for their closed brains

scotts

Originally Posted by pnkflydlvr
http:///forum/post/2682230
i had a huge problem with hair algae a couple of years ago. i got rid of it with many water changes and buying some hermit crabs and snails. that seemed to do the trick for me.
Sorry, I have not been in "the reef" in awhile. Pinkfloyd is on the same track as me. If you have enough things in your tank to breakdown the nutrients for the hair algae than it will go away because it has nothing to eat. So a good clean up crew like what he recommends will help.
The beneficial bacteria I was talking about is the bacteria, bugs and critters that are in Live Sand. I am not sure if that black sand you have there was "live" when you put it in the tank.
I had a hair algae problem awhile ago when I tried making my own food. I did not have a way of making something the size of the frozen cubes that we buy, so I ended up overfeeding my tank. I bought some blue legged hermits from this site and not only did they eat they waste in the tank, they also ate the hair algae itself.