Hair Algae In Frag Tank

tr1gger

I have hair algae on my frags in my frag tank. Its 20 Gallon long with about 10 frags in it. Any suggestions ? Lights are on a 8 hr cycle

perfectdark

Eliminating the cause can be an issue because typically frag tanks are heavily fed and light cycles are generally long. Running a protein skimmer is essential IMO and frequent maybe twice a week, but at the least once a week water changes are essential.
IMO I would also get a Lawnmower Blenny... say goodbye to the hair algae, but not the cause.

tr1gger

Is there any prevention though ? When i see people and pics of their frag tanks i never see algae like this, i feel like im doing something wrong

perfectdark

Originally Posted by tr1gger
http:///forum/post/2775636
Is there any prevention though ? When i see people and pics of their frag tanks i never see algae like this, i feel like im doing something wrong

Sorry I edited my post look back again...

yosemite sam

PD, why are frags tanks heavily fed?
tr1gger, what is your setup like? How much LR do you have? Was it cured or did you cycle the tank with it? What other equipment and livestock do you have in it?

tr1gger

Originally Posted by Yosemite Sam
http:///forum/post/2775666
tr1gger, what is your setup like? How much LR do you have? Was it cured or did you cycle the tank with it? What other equipment and livestock do you have in it?
20 gallon long
PC lighting (1x65 watt 30" x 5.25" x 2.5" 10,000k/460nm)
Penguin 100 Biowheel
2 Koralias (spelling) #1's
No LR No LS
just a plain jane tank with lighting and a filter. The more i read that the more and more in the wrong i think i am :(

yosemite sam

A frag tank is just like a display tank, except you're not mounting corals to make a decorative display, you're just putting them on egg crate to grow them out. You can go bare bones with a fish QT tank, but you really need proper equipment to grow corals out.Think about it like this, if you need a piece of equipment to get things to work well in your display tank, you'll likely need it in your frag tank. All the really nice frags tanks I've seen are essentially regular reef tanks in terms of their setup.

perfectdark

I know a lot of people that feed their frag tanks heavily. Faster growth more frags quicker. I dont necessarily know what drives them individually, but I know its done quite often. I have even seen drips set up for specific corals. And they also filter very heavily too.

big

Several good ideas listed above..........
But ,If there are no other major issues such as Phospates etc. Try this one.....
Cut the lights off for about five days to a week... Sort of like a dark storm in nature. It will not hurt the corals, but it will starve the green crap to death! So ....... not much growth for a few days is no big loss, but it will kill off the unwanted Hair Algea.......

ilovemytank

Originally Posted by Yosemite Sam
http:///forum/post/2775853
I'm assuming this would be a hang-on skimmer? From what I understand, Remoras are pretty dependable HOB skimmers.
On one of my smaller tanks I had ( still own but don't use ) a red sea prism deluxe hang on back skimmer. Its trim and does a great job. It cost about $ 100. it does have a down side though...you have to adjust the skimming power on occasions by turninig a knob. It would be perfect if it wasn't for that.

nwdyr

read ALLOT about those "nano" skimmers I have not heard much good about them. I would try turning the lights off for a week before getting the skimmer and do reg 20% w/c weekly JMO that has worked for me in the past with hair algae