Hair algae is coming more and more

osborne

I know this is a forever topic but my LPS has sold me a tuxedo archin to get rid of it but he doesnt even get near it. And now Im getting lil green spots everywhere that starting to turn into lil patchs of green hair algae. Im currently running phosphate remover. One thing is Im bad about topping my sump of with just tap water when Im on the run, would this be bring it on? Please help I need to get it controlled before it gets out of hand.

jharlow

From everything I know tap water = disaster. Do yourself a favor and either get an RO/DI setup, or stock up on RO water at wal mart when you are there. Our goal in this hobby is to re-create natures conditions, and when it rains over the oceans the rainwater does not have chlorine, fluoride, phosphates, abnormal pH, etc etc in it.
I too have had a hair algae outbreak (finally got it mostly under control) and traced the source of a high phosphate level to a combination of frozen foods and a bad salt mix.

nycbob

the best way is obviously use ro/di water. if thats not possible, get a sea hare, sailfin tang if u hv a big tank, a black sailfin blenny, or blue hermit crabs (big or small ones r both reef-safe).

kjohansen

I have a huge hair algae problem in my AP24. Water changes are not doing any good. Oddly enough though, it started about the time I started using the local dealers pre-mixed water. Before I was using their RO/DO water and mixing my own salt. Hmmm, maybe that is my problem, but maybe not. For sure I have a phosphate problem.

janbee

Originally Posted by KJohansen
http:///forum/post/2795587
I have a huge hair algae problem in my AP24. Water changes are not doing any good. Oddly enough though, it started about the time I started using the local dealers pre-mixed water. Before I was using their RO/DO water and mixing my own salt. Hmmm, maybe that is my problem, but maybe not. For sure I have a phosphate problem.
I too have a hair algae problem just in a couple of my tanks- everything I've tried in terms of hair algae eating aquatic hasn't done the trick. Jan

bravanc

i would stop using tap water as suggested. Cut or cleanup as much of the hair algae as you can and get some red and blue leg hermits. They will clean that algae up before you know it. you'll be suprised