Hair Algae

H

hlp

A few questions. What are the common causes of hair algae? How do I properly ID it? Are there different colors? Treatments? Cleaners that will consume it? Or is it just a fact of life? Pictures? Finally, differences in coraline and other good algae versus "bad" algae? Any answers will be very helpful.

dav

Go to the home page, there is a "search" up at the top. Type in algea, hair algea, ect.... and you can find anything you might want to know. Some have pictures too.

H

hlp

I tried the search and did not find the info I want. I need some information that I can't find otherwise. Books and other info seem to tiptoe around algae info.

H

hlp

Had red slime for about 2 weeks that grew and then was replaced or overcome with lime green algae. What happened there?

tagg

I would venture a gess that your water conditions got better so that the green algae took over and eliminated the Cyano.
:joy:

H

hlp

The algae on my substrate still seems hairy, OK or not? I still seem to have a lot of what looks like Cyano on my LR(about half). What should I do? My levels are fine PH 8.2 trite 0 trate 0 and amm 0. Do I need to be checking for something else?

tagg

If you are concerned about the cyano, it can be removed to a degree by lightly scrubbing it off (remove the rock from tank). Some type of Coralline will eventually take over (may be a while though)....I have both in my tanks.
The green hairy stuff won't hurt anything. Just dont let it take over the tank.
You will see many changes as time goes by.

tagg

Oops....
Forgot to mention that the better the water circulation... the less cyano will grow.:yes:

H

hlp

Thanks for the info xchange. What do you use as far as a cleaning crew.

tagg

It will just slowly die back until it ain't no more.
You could try cutting back a bit on the length of time that the lights are on. That will slow the growth pretty good.

dav

I had green hair algae and now where that was it seem to be brown almost fuzzy stuff. Is this a whole other algae or is this just the dead green hair algae??

tagg

Hermits, Enerald, A LMB, various shrimp, Brittle & Serpant stars, many snails(variety)
Something different in each tank I gess. 12 tanks at the moment.

H

hlp

Do you have the same substrate in each tank? Is LS better about algae growth?

tagg

Originally posted by <"
><

I had green hair algae and now where that was it seem to be brown almost fuzzy stuff. Is this a whole other algae or is this just the dead green hair algae??

I would venture a gess that it's a different species.
Better than too much hair algae
:D

tagg

Originally posted by HLP
Is LS better about algae growth?

It can be.... but water flow and nitrAtes are the biggest factor.
I have some CC, but mainly LS

H

hlp

Can you have a mix of CC and LS? If so, would you have a dedicated section for LS? I know you can't place LS on top of CC.

tagg

You can have both. If you mix them togeather the CC will come to the top. (not good idea).
You can use LR or other obsticles to partition off an area for a sand bed, but the critters will move the CC & sand around too.
Remember to vavume the CC if you have much of it.
I have two 55's that are both 2/3's LS and 1/3 CC. {I like it}
Another 55 has a Trigger in it. He will pick-up and drag rocks twice his size. (3 inch deep sand with LR rubble scattered).
I use silica sand in all my tanks (most will say you can't do that) so the sand is very fine. Water movement will cause the sand to move also. I love that stuff